Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Editing operations and spliting segment

Hi Fredrik,

Thanks for the example. I understand your concern better now.

However, I wonder if we are not going too far with those processing expectations.

For instance: An XLIFF document may be the input for an aligner tool. It would break sentences and align the resulting segments. So its input may be like this:

<unit id='1'>
 <segment>
  <source>Error detected: File not found.</source>
  <target>Erreur détectée : Fichier non trouvé.</target>
 </segment>
</unit>

And its output like this:

<unit id='1'>
 <segment>
  <source>Error detected: </source>
  <target>Erreur détectée : </target>
 </segment>
 <segment>
  <source>File not found.</source>
  <target>Fichier non trouvé.</target>
 </segment>
</unit>

The input would have an existing target and it would be perfectly reasonable to re-segments and align the content. As long as the operations are controlled the results should be valid.

In other words, doing anything to the target can make that target a mismatch for the source. Re-segmenting an existing target is no more dangerous that other operations.

Also: <target> has an order attribute that can be used to modify the order in which the target segments need to be re-constructed. So even the example you gave could probably be handled properly.

Cheers,
-ys