xliff-omos message

Subject: RE: [xliff-omos] A few notes in JSON and inline content

Hi Phil, Ryan, all,

I’m not sure using nested objects is going to be very friendly.
It forces recursivity which may not always easy to implement.

Something like innerText/innerContent needs to be more like a sub-fragment array, which in this case has only a plain text entry.

[
   "Text in",
   {
      "kind":0,
      "id": "1",
      "codeStart": "<b>",
      "codeEnd": "</b>",
      "innerContent":
      [
         "bold"
      ]
   },
   "format.",
   {
      "kind":1,
      "code": "<br>"
   }
]

If there are several nested inline codes we quickly end up with a complex structure.

Obviously the nested structure maps well to a tree that could be one of the in-memory representation of the object model for some. Such representation could be mapped to a linear in-memory representation as well obviously. But the reverse is also true.

In the context of JSON I tend to think we would be better off to use the simplest representation possible. From the API viewpoint this would be invisible anyway; we would have something like IFragment frag = reader.readFragment(jsonString); where IFragment would be the object offering the functions giving access to the content.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
-yves