xliff-omos message

Subject: Temporary GitHub repo to work on the UML class diagram

Hi all,

after some research I figured that commercial UML editors simply don't collaborate using an XML or otherwise transparent format. My attempts at exchanging diagrams via XMI typically ended with the producing tool itself calling it's own XMI export corrupt.. No joy then..

Anyways I have researched a UML collaborative solution based on an Eclipse based open source product Papyrus.

After discussing with Robin and Chet, it appears that it will take still some time to be able to collaborate as TC on an OASIS provided git repository.

Robin and Chet advised that I create a temporary "throwaway" GitHub repository
So here it is:
https://github.com/DavidFatDavidF/XLIFFOM
Robin and Chet also approved the Readme text for the temporary repository.

Apart form the License and Readme there is an EMF modelling project committed on the repo.

I started recereating the diagram that Lucian previously created in the ASHTA community edition tool, this tool however was only capable of sharing bitmaps or proprietary binaries.

In order to edit contribute to the diagram creation you need to download and install Papyrus modeling environment which is an Eclipse extension. If you don't run Eclipse as of now Papyrus will install with Eclipse.
https://eclipse.org/papyrus/
Other dependencies include Java VM 1.7 or later
I failed to get rolling with the 64bit edition for Windows, as I could not resolve the Java VM mismatch, so I recommend that you run the 32bit edition on Windows, I did not test any of the Linux or Mac OS versions.
I might need to install a 32bit Java VM for your Papyrus install if you are on a 64bit Windows OS.
After you succeed in running Papyrus you should make sure that
EGit and EMF packages are installed as part of the Papyrus software. It is likely that EGit will be already present but I had to add the EMF collaborative packages over the Install New Software menu
Help -> Install New Software...
In the Available Software dialog choose
Work with: --All Available Sites--
Wait for the options to refresh in the main window, then type EMF to the filter box
After EMF items are filtered select the whole Collaboration area to install.
It will take some time to download and install all dependencise and it will require Papyris restart in the end.

Now you are ready to start Papyrus again and clone the GitHub repo at https://github.com/DavidFatDavidF/XLIFFOM.git

Even if you know how to use git repositories it might be helpful to watch this video
http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2015/04/13/collaborative-modeling-with-papyrus-emf-compare-and-egit/
where it is nicely shown how people can use Papyrus and EMF compare when collaboarating on the same class diagram, which is exactly what we need ;-)

So far I have invited Chase, Felix, Yves and Ryan as collaborators.

I could not find any other members on GitHub. If you don't have a GitHub account, please create one and ask

Please note that only TC members can contribute as explained in the Readme.

Any feedback WRT how the project opens in your Papyrus would be most welcome..

Thanks for your attention and best regards
dF

Dr. David Filip
OASIS XLIFF OMOS TC Chair
OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, Liaison Officer
Spokes Research Fellow
ADAPT Centre
KDEG, Trinity College Dublin
Mobile: +420-777-218-122