xliff-schemas message

Subject: RE: [xliff-schemas] Resent from Eric...

Hi Eric,

thank you for posting the list. I've just a note about user-defined values of this list. Listed values are very common but in the praxis we are using very often a special units -- for example 'LU' (Localisation Units), which is the only unit used by some of our partners and is completely different from 'Word' or 'Character'. In these cases, vendors using special units are not able to utilize the <unit> element. What would you recommend for such cases?

Thanks,
Milan

-----Original Message-----
From: Enda McDonnell [mailto:EndaMcD@alchemysoftware.ie]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 12:11 PM
To: 'xliff-schemas@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: [xliff-schemas] Resent from Eric...

Hi All,
Eric asked me to send this mail to you while his new email is set-up with xliff lists.  Enda

Folks,

Apologies for taking so long to get this one out. Last week we briefly braintormed a number of possibilities for a fixed list of values in the "unit" attribute of the "count" element. The function of the unit attribute is to say what is being counted in a specific instance of "count."

byte
character
word
page
trans-unit
bin-unit
sentence
line
paragraph

the specification includes a value called "item" which is supposed to be trans-unit + bin-unit. I am unhappy with that name as it's not at all clear that item = trans-unit + bin-unit. Does anyone know whether this combination unit is, in fact, needed?

Eric