xliff-seg message

Subject: Views on segments and segmentation

Dear all,

During the sub-committee meeting on 23-Mar-04, I developed the feeling that I and possibly others would benefit from a discussion related to the notion of 'segment' and 'segmentation'.

Since the statement of purpose for the sub-committee reads

"The XLIFF Segmentation Subcommittee goal is to recommend segmentation representations within an XLIFF document."

a common understanding of these notions seems to be vital.

Best regards,

Christian

A. Segment

One way of starting a discussion, is to look at a kind of standard definition for 'segment' in the realm of localization:

"A segment is what a program considers the smallest translatable unit, usually a sentence."

Starting from here, I wonder what to say about a French phrase like

"Chaque patient à l'hôpital a une carte vitale"

Here, 'carte vitale' is a term (along the lines of English "health insurance card"), sth. which from my understanding is the smallest translatable unit. Accordingly, I would see a concatenation of two segments in the French phrase.

One question which thus comes to mind when I think about the sub-committee is the following: Would the work of the sub-committee result in a recommendation like "Phrases which contain terms which are available in a glossary attached to an XLIFF file are not to be split into different segments"?

B. Segmentation

I wonder how for example the sub-committee's work is related to TR-29 of the Unicode standard (see http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/) or the ongoing work at LISA related to the Segmenation Rules Exchange format (SRX). I have got the feeling that many observers will ask questions like this.