xliff-seg message

Subject: Summary of proposal to cope with implicit XLIFF trans-unit problems

Hi,

As part of my actions for Tuesday's meeting I need to summarize the requirements
discussed to date regarding handling segmentation exceptions in the top level
trans-unit:

There are two types of instance implicit within XLIFF where a translator should
be able to signal that there is a segmentation issue with trans-units:

1) The original text was badly authored or segmented. In these the translator
should be able to put the full translation against the "head" or first
trans-unit and signal by use of an attribute a "merged" value that the following
trans-units have been translated against the head element. If we like it or not
this type of situation does occur outside of any control that the translator has
of the XLIFF file.

By not providing this mechanism we make effective translation of such an XLIFF
file impossible.

2) The translated text is not an effective of the source trans-unit for
leveraged memory purposes. This may be market specific data such as the address
or contact details of a subsidiary, or it may come about due to field length
limitations in the original document, where the source text for several fields
that are rendered as trans-units within a fixed length limitation. In this last
instance the translation may have been made with regard to fitting in the
translation over the several fields and therefore the individual trans-units are
not an equivalent literal translation. In this instance a "noequiv" attribute
will be required against each trans-unit to indicate that the text should not be
loaded into leveraged memory as it is not a direct equivalent.

By not providing such a mechanism we cannot prevent non-equivalent translations
from being loaded into leveraged memory.

Both attribute values should be added to one of the existing trans-unit
attributes or a new attribute such as "flag" should be created.

Best Regards,

AZ

--

email - azydron@xml-intl.com
smail - Mr. A.Zydron

may not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless
explicitly stated otherwise this message is provided for informational
purposes only and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.