xliff-users message

Subject: Object model for the extensions

Hi,

I've made some progress on the prototype/tentative of object model for XLIFF.
The updated document is here: http://opentag.com/data/xliffomapi/ as before.

It covers almost all parts of the document now (files, groups, etc.) not just the unit.
The hierarchy and objects should be close to done, but the methods on each objects still need work.
And this is just for the Core.

Hopefully the chart (http://opentag.com/data/xliffomapi/overview-summary.html#overview) helps a bit to see the overall picture.

One of the challenges is that modules not supported as well as custom extensions need to be somehow mapped into the objects so they
can be serialized (possibly in different formats) without losing information. But we need something generic at the same time.

So I've tried the following:

The model would have two types of extensions: Extension fields and extension objects.

--- Extension Fields

They would be represented as extension attributes in XLIFF (or attributes of unsupported modules).
The model is relatively simple:

An IExtFields object provides the methods to access the extension fields.

An IExtField is made of a namespace URI, a name (in that namespace) and a string value.

The IExtFields also holds a set of namespace declaration which are a pair of URI and a shorthand text. In XLIFF that maps to the URI
and its prefix.

--- Extension Objects

They would be represented as extension elements in XLIFF (or elements of unsupported modules).

IExtObjects provides all the methods to access the extension objects.

IExtObject is made of a namespace URI, a name (in that namespace) and it holds a collection of IExtObjectItem objects. Those can be
either another IExtObject or an IExtObjectData object (which holds some content)

An IExtObject has also extension fields obviously.

One of the questions is: how far do we want in granularity? For example, if the XLIFF document has some Processing Instructions in
an extension element: how do we make sure we can carry that item across different serialization?

Any feedback on this (and the overall tentative model) would be welcome.

I'm starting to look at JavaScript, C# and Python to see how such model could be implemented. I think we also need to list a few use
cases that illustrate how such model could be used.

Cheers,
-yves