xliff-users message

Subject: RE: [xliff-users] Fragment Identification in XLIFF 2.0

Hi Phil,

It's not that reference by IDs to non-XLIFF namespace is impossible it is just that one cannot have extensions (or modules) that
have nested reference.

For example, imagine you have this extensions:

<unit id="1">
 <ext1:elem1 id="id1">
  <ext2:elem2 id="id3">data

You can declare prefixes for both extensions.
You can do this: #f=f1/u=1/ext1=id1
Or this: #f=f1/u=1/ext2=id3
But not this: #f=f1/u=1/ext1=id1/ext2=id3

In other words, you cannot have several IDs with the same value for ext2 even if they are within different ext1 elements. But you
can have several IDs with the same value for ext2 as long as they are in different units.

This normally would not affect ITS.

In addition, it's relatively easy to work around the restriction: you can simply define the IDs of your extension to be UUIDs, then
they don't need to depend on some nested scope to use them.

Hope this helps,
-yves