Subject: Re: RE: [xliff] RE: more comments on the DTD

Hi Yves;

On 25 January 2002, you were heard to say:

>My goal here is to make it as easy as possible to read an XLIFF document,
no matter who writes it. Optional (but significant!) markup is at odds
with that goal.

But we need to address the needs of the large production operations, and I suggest that the optional markup is more helpful than harmful.  It *does* add extra text, and *should* be human readable as well as machine readable, but it's ppotentially very helpful in identifying the processing that has occured in prior handling of the translated file.

Regards,
David L
eric@etranslate.com wrote on 1/25/02 11:27:42 PM
On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Yves Savourel wrote:

> >>I think we didn't make required because you could avoid to have it
> >>for one of the two language in the document by specifying the xml:lang
> >>at the <xliff> level and it would be redundand.
> >
> >Then, in the interest of simplification, let's not have it present on
> ><source> and <target> at all and require it to be present at the
> ><xliff> level.
>
> We cannot do that :) We can have only one xml:lang in <xliff>, and we have
> two languages to identify: one for <source> and one for <target>.

OK, that makes sense.  Then let's have the xml:lang on xliff be the
language of the xliff document itself and >require< xml:lang on source/target
elements.

My goal here is to make it as easy as possible to read an XLIFF document,
no matter who writes it.  Optional (but significant!) markup is at odds
with that goal.

Eric