Subject: [xliff] Minutes of the XLIFF TC March 5th. 2002

Minutes of the XLIFF TC March 5th. 2002
1/ Roll call
Present: Jonathan Clark, Tony Jewtushenko, Milan Karasek, Caroline Koff,
Mark Levins, Christian Lieske,, Enda McDonnell  John Reid, Peter Reynolds,
Reinhard Schaler, Eric D. Friedman
Observers: Brian Briggs
Apologies: John Corrigan, Yves Savourel
2/ Conformance Subcommittee
Reinhard had posted a new charter for the conformance subcommittee. It was
proposed that we accept this and set up the subcommittee. This was passed
unanimously. The following people have agreed to join this committee at the
February 5th. meeting: Reinhard Schaler, Enda McDonnell, Peter Reynolds,
Tony Jewtushenko and John Reid.

3/ Schema Subcommittee/ Discussion on Specification
The discussion which started with the report back from the Schema
subcommittee became a more general discussion on the specification with the
proposal that work should be done to edit this, correcting issues which were
highlighted.
This discussion started with Enda reporting back on the Schema
subcommittee's discussion about attribute list and whether recommended lists
should be open or closed. This led to a more general discussion on the
schema. Problems with interoperability were pointed out. Mechanism for
solving these issues were discussed such as using namespaces. There was also
a suggestion that some of the attributes could become elements allowing the
value to be PCDATA rather than have an open list.
The case was put forward for revising the specification and to come up with
a 1.1 spec. It was pointed out that version 1.1 of the spec might not be
compatible with version 1.0.
A motion was put for ward stating that we wish to revise the 1.0
specification prior to doing the subcommittee work. This was carried with 6
votes in favour and 4 abstentions.
It was also agreed that the work on the schema subcommittee would be
suspended.
Eric is to send a mail to the XLIFF list putting forward his thinking on
these issues and we will have a discussion using the mailing list. We will
also come up with example documents which will highlight practical issues.
The deadline for agreeing which recommendations we will accept was set as
May 1st. with the spec being decided at our face to face meeting in May.

4/ XLIFF Whitepaper
This will be postponed until 1.1 spec is produced.  Given the 1.1 revision
initiative,  the existing 1.0 whitepaper (posted to Yahoo! egroup
DataDefinition) will not be posted to the Oasis XLIFF TC website.

5/ Face to Face Meeting
The proposed dates will be either 9/10 of May (week before LRC presentation)
or a combination of two of the days in the week following the LRC.  Tony J.
to send out proposed dates and wait for feedback on attendees.

6/ New Business From Yves
 "At some point I think it would be a good idea to have actual
implementations for a XLIFF interface. An open-source and free
implementation in, let's say, Java and C++ (and add a COM layer to the C++),
so any developer could easily add support fro reading and writing XLIFF
document."   This proposal was originally discussed as part of XLIFF 1.0 as
a goal for future (post 1.0) work,  but was postponed once TC proposal for
OASIS was initiated.  Discussion points included concern that an opensource
API and/or source code may require support,  and may have liability
implications and release and ownership by the TC may be prohibited by OASIS
- Tony J. to investigate and confirm.  After some discussion,  it was agreed
to postpone discussion of this work until the larger architectural issues of
XLIFF 1.1 are resolved.   This item will be added to the agenda for the
Face-to-face meeting and if deemed appropriate,  deliverables will be scoped
at that time.
New Business from Jonathan:  Jonathan will be travelling to the Lisa
conference next week,  and will therefore be able to participate (along with
Yves) at XLIFF+LISA discussions and negotiations.  LISA & OASIS management,
will extend special invitations to targetted LISA members to participate in
XLIFF TC.  Yves will represent XLIFF TC at the Saturday meeting of OSCAR
(Jonathan is invited as well).

7/ Next meeting to take place Tuesday 4pm,  19 March 2002.  Contact details
are the same as usual,  and will be sent in a reminder a day or two in
advance of the meeting.

Peter Reynolds, Software Development Manager, Berlitz GlobalNET
3, West Pier Business Campus, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Tel: +353-1-202-1280
Fax: +353-1- 202-1299
Web Site: http//www.berlitzglobalnet.com
"Don't just translate it, BerlitzIT" http//www.berlitzIT.com