Subject: RE: [xliff] Proposed XLIFF Charter

Eric,

Thanks for your mails.
See comments below from meeting. Comments are marked 'Mtg:'. The charter
will eventually be agreed by an email vote. Please send any further comments
so we can discuss them tomorrow morning.

Peter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric D. Friedman [mailto:eric@conveysoftware.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 4:17 PM
To: Peter Reynolds
Cc: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

I have some questions/comments for the folks who worked on the charter
proposal.  Some of these questions are about text that's in the current
charter, but since you've chosen to retain it, I'll ask about that too.

1. Why the strong emphasis on extensibility in the first sentence?
(It gets pride of place among all the other adjectives).  Extensibility,
done correctly, is important, but it's not the *most* important thing
we're doing, is it?  I note that extensibility is covered in the last
sentence of the proposal, so I'd recommend dropping this first reference
to it.  I would like to see us standardize everything we can possibly
standardize, and then provide targeted extensions points for problems
we cannot resolve as a last resort.

Mtg: We would like to leave this as extensibility is seen as something that
is core to XLIFF. We agree with the comments on stadardizing and intend to
define a formal method for extensibility.

2. "vocabularies" -- I'm not sure that this is the best word to capture
(what I assume to be) your intent.  A vocabulary is simply a list of
words, with accompanying definitions.  It says nothing about the syntax
of a language in which those words are used,  but syntax should
definitely be part of the charter.

Obviously you meant more than vocabulary allows, which is why I think
another word would be better.  Your parenthetical "formats, schemas"
is a good start.  I would lean toward "schemas" because that has specific
meaning in the world of XML.

Mtg: vocabularies refers to XML vocabularies (XML tag set) and we shall
rename this 'XML vocabularies'.

3. What distinction are you trying to express with "mark up or capture"?
It's not clear to me.

Mtg: 'capture' would usually refer to parsing and 'mark up' would refer to
authoring. As per Gerard's proposal.

4. In the second sentence, "standardized" is begging the question:  we are
a standards body defining a standard, hence it's standardized.  I
would drop this word.

Mtg: This is agreed.

5. "aspects of the i18n process."  Someone reading the charter must be
able to discover what problems we propose to solve.  More needs to be
said here.

Mtg: This refers to mark-up (such as localisation directive). We have taken
the view to be consise in the charter and have a detailed white paper which
will more fully explain all issues.

6. What do you mean, exactly, by "comprehensively support common software
and content data formats" ?  This can mean a lot of things, including
the extraction into content+skeleton and back again, which I doubt is
intended.

Mtg: Can you explain this in more detail. We are not sure what you mean.

7. What's the thinking behind "company culture" ?  I have never seen
a technical specification that mentioned this as an objective.  What
does it mean in the context of this charter?

Mtg: The objective is to deal with workflows and processes as defined by
propietary requirements. We have agreed to change this to 'workflow
domains'.

8. Why did you decide to drop "format that will allow any software
provider to produce a single interchange format that can be delivered
to and understood by any localization service provider" ?  This is a big
reduction in scope -- what's the thinking behind it?

Mtg: We are not reducing scope as we addressing content as an issue aswell
as software.

Ammeded charter is below.

Charter
The purpose of the OASIS XLIFF TC is to define specifications for extensible
localization interchange XML vocabularies (i.e. formats, schemas)  that will
provide the ability to mark up or capture localizable data and interoperate
with different processes or phases without loss of information. The
vocabularies will be tool-independent, and support aspects of the
internationalization process and the entire localization process. The
vocabularies will comprehensively support common software and content data
formats. The specifications will provide an extensibility mechanism to allow
the development of tools compatible with an implementer's own proprietary
data formats and workflow domains.

Eric