Subject: RE: [xliff] Consolidation - Embedded XLIFF

Hi Yves,

Thanks for putting this together. Please find my comments underneath.

Best,
Christian

>3.2. Embedding One or More XLIFF Constructs
>Scenario: This is the example given by Gérard. Here, "chunks" of XLIFF data
are inserted in specific location of the
>other format.
>This will require to define a schema (different from the XLIFF schema) that
other formats can import in their own
>schemas. Such schema will provide sets of XLIFF elements and attributes
declared and structured in a way they can be
>embedded in other constructs.

I would slightly rephrase this as 'For this, XLIFF formal definitions have
to be made available in an easy to use, 'importable' fashion'.

In principle, import (or rather use) of XLIFF formal definitions already is
possible with the existing schema
(i.e. the DTD), since from my understanding, you could use it in a doctype
declaration subset. However, it
is not easy to use yet since

1. you only can use 'the whole thing' (i.e. all of the formal definitions);
you can't say 'I only use
  the definitions below the 'body' level

2. you cannot really 'import' into another schema (the doctype declaration
subset mentioned above
  pertains to an 'import' on the instance level, not the schema level)

3. our schema (i.e. the DTD) has no means to declare some definitions as
'unalterable' (XSD schemata
  allow you to take provisions against this)