OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xliff message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]

Subject: [xliff] Minutes of the XLIFF Technical Committee - June 12th. 2002

Minutes of the XLIFF Technical Committee - June 12th. 2002 
Thanks to Tony for minutes after I had to leave the meeting.

1/ Roll Call
Present: Jonathan Clark, Tony Jewtushenko, Christian Lieske, John Reid, 
Peter Reynolds, Yves Saourel, Reinhard Schaler, Gérard Cattin des Bois,
Mirek Driml.
Apologies: John Corrigan, Matt Lovatt, David Leland, Mark Levins, Eric
Observer: David Pooley

The meeting noted that John Corrigan will be on a leave of absence. The
first 45 days of this are agreed automatically and after this the TC can
vote on extending it.

2/ Minutes of previous meeting were agreed.

3/ Meeting Quorum - Tony emphasized the need for people to regularly attend
the meeting as we need a quorum in order to make decisions. It was agreed
that we should review the quorum and how we deal with people who have
stopped attending but are still listed as members. Tony will arrange a
meeting with Jonathan and Peter.

4/ David Pooley of SDL was welcomed to the XLIFF TC. David is responsible
for SDL's desktop tools such as SDLX.

5/ Spec 1.1 Work in Progress
We agreed to go through this one doc at a time and when the main proposer of
a particular item  was not present we would postpone this to a future

Spec 1.1 refinements
Count element
There was a discussion on the count element where we agreed that more
information was needed in order to know information such as the tool, tool
version, and algorithm used in producing the count. It was agreed that there
would be a tools element which would be a child of the header element and
this could be referenced by other elements such as <count and <alt-trans.
John Reid will produce a proposal for how this could be done.

Group element
There was a debate on a number of issues concerning the group element. It
was agreed that there was a possibility that there might be certain
circumstances where an empty body element was needed (ie,  when want to
metadata,  but not localisation data). It was also agreed
that we should not change element names where possible as this will effect
migration issues.
It was agreed that we should implement the following:
* We should not have an empty group element.
* There should be no changes in the names.
* The header element should be optional
* Child elements should have the same order.

Word Separator:
Meeting came to the conclusion that this proposal is more appropriate to
within a larger "segmentation" discussion,  even though a "word break"
fundementally is fundementally different than a "segment break".

Discussion to continue via email.

Reformat Element:
Proposal 1:

John Reid noted that the the list of attributes controlled by Reformat
should not be closed.   Gerard pointed out that the paradigm for describing
resource attributes may change in the future,  and closing a such a list may
result in future incompatibility.  Tony agreed,  and suggested that the word
"closed" be struck off the proposal,  and suggested that a a list of
known attribute values be defined,  but that the list be user extensible.

Proposal 2 & Proposal 3:
Mat was to provide code examples,  and a more detailed write up.   Group
further evaluate these proposals once sample code is provided.

Embedded XLIFF (Gerard's proposal):
No time for discussion,  so will continue via email.

6/XLIFF 1.1 Schedule
Spec Draft 1 date appears to be unattainable,  given current rate of
Suggestion to increase meeting frequency from fortnightly to weekly not
due to conflicting committments.
Suggestion to use mailing list to conduct discussions will be implemented.
Adjustment to schedule will be discussed at the next meeting.

7. Next meeting date / time = Tuesday 25 June,  4pm London / 11am EST / 8am

Peter Reynolds, Software Development Manager, Berlitz GlobalNET
3, West Pier Business Campus, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Tel: +353-1-202-1280
Fax: +353-1- 202-1299
Web Site: http//www.berlitzglobalnet.com
"Don't just translate it, BerlitzIT" http//www.berlitzIT.com 

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]

Powered by eList eXpress LLC