Subject: [xliff] Re: Minutes of I18N WG meeting on 2002-05-14

I'm pleased to announce that the OASIS XLIFF TC approved the proposed liason relationship as defined in the i18n WG meeting minutes below.  Additionally,  the XLIFF TC approved Christian Leske, (SAP) as the OASIS XLIFF TC Liason to W3C i18n WG.

Christian's term as W3C Liason was agreed to run for a 6 month term (thru Dec. 02),  and shall be automatically renewed unless another XLIFF TC member with W3C membership rights volunteers for the rotation,  and is approved by the TC.

Tony Jewtushenko,  Chair - OASIS XLIFF Technical Committee

Misha.Wolf@reuters.com wrote:

Below are the minutes of the latest I18N WG meeting, followed by a
reminder of the next few teleconferences, the draft agenda for our
next meeting, actions and dependencies.

Minutes of I18N WG meeting on 2002-05-14

Present:
  François (some of the time)
  Martin
  Misha (chair, scribe)
  Richard (some of the time)
  Tex

Guests:
  Tony Jewtushenko (some of the time)
  Tony Graham
  Tom Garland

Regrets:
  Arnold
  Asmus
  Hideki
  Takao

Review of open actions
======================

Misha: Make arrangements for FTF#18 (Tue 14 May and Sat 18 May) in
Dublin.
>> Done

Misha: Create an editorial LC#2 comment based on:
-  split/concat example looks good, I think (LCI-191)
   -  Dan Connolly, 30 Apr 2002
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2002Apr/0015
>> Done

The remaining actions were carried forward.

Review of dependencies
======================

All dependencies were carried forward.

XLIFF liaison
=============

DECIDED: We'll form a liasion with the OASIS XLIFF TC. The I18N WG will
endeavour to review, in a timely manner, documents provided to us for
review by the OASIS XLIFF TC. The liaison person from our end will be
Richard Ishida. We hope the OASIS XLIFF TC will reach a reciprocal
decision and also that a number of OASIS XLIFF TC will join the I18N IG
list.

DEPENDENCY: OASIS XLIFF TC to respond to the above.

I18N Activity recharter
=======================

Our current thinking is that:
-  Localizability will be principally tackled by the OASIS XLIFF TC.
-  New pieces of W3C I18N-related work will be tackled initially by task
   forces (TFs) of the I18N WG, namely:
   -  a Guidelines, Education and Outreach (GEO) TF,
   -  a Distributed Services (etc) TF, which would start by writing:
      -  a set of use cases,
      -  a set of requirements.

Could the Distributed Services (etc) TF be a joint TF with (some parts
of) the W3C Web Services Activity?

The proposed areas for gathering Distributed Services (etc) use cases
(and subsequently writing requirements) are:
-  Locales + the Web
-  Locales + XML
-  Locales + Web Services
-  I18N + Web Services

Montreal meeting
================

François wants a go/no-go decision re the Montreal meeting by early
June.

Control characters in XML 1.1
=============================

See:
-  XML Core WG requests comment: control characters in XML 1.1
   -  John Cowan, 9 May 2002
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-plenary/2002May/0004

DECISION: If the XML Core WG adopts Shigemichi's proposal (or any
similar proposal, eg using a PI), it should only be permitted for
disallowed C0 characters.  Our reasons include:
-  problems with N11N,
-  problems resulting from an increase in the number of representations,
-  problems with single 'surrogates'.

ACTION: François to convey our position on control characters in XML 1.1
(see minutes of 2002-05-14 meeting) to XML Core.

Name characters in XML 1.1
==========================

See:
-  Re: Minutes of I18N WG meeting on 2002-05-07
   -  Rick Jelliffe, 8 May 2002
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002May/0031

DECIDED: We are in favour of some tightening of the rules for chars
allowed in XML names.  We'll pursue this further once we've we've
discussed Kentaroh's proposals.

XML namespace URIs
==================

See:
-  Jeremy Carroll, 3 May 2002
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002May/0015
-  Jeremy Carroll, 3 May 2002
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-names-editor/2002May/0001

DECIDED: Namespace URIs should allow the same range of chars as XML
System Identifiers.  We'll pursue this further once we've discussed
Jeremy's latest mail.

Charmod C006
============

DECIDED:

-  In the examples in 3.1.1, remove the definitions (abugida etc).

-  Decision -> Not Applicable.

-  Rationale: We decided to simplify the text by removing these
   definitions.

ACTION: Misha to update charmod-lc.

ACTION: Editors to update pending.html.

Charmod C007
============

DECIDED:

-  Add the mention of Hebrew.

-  Decision -> Partially accepted.

-  Rationale: We decided to simplify the text by removing these
   definitions.

ACTION: Misha to update charmod-lc.

ACTION: Editors to update pending.html.

Charmod C009
============

DECIDED:

-  Decision -> Accepted.

ACTION: Misha to update charmod-lc.

Charmod C010
============

DECIDED:

-  Decision -> Rejected.

-  Rationale: The proposed text doesn't cover all cases (eg numbers
   using the Hebrew script).  The provision of a complete explanation
   would take more time than we have available.

ACTION: Misha to update charmod-lc.

I18N WG teleconferences

Day      : Tuesday
Duration : 90 minutes
Bridge   : +1-617-761-6200 (Zakim*) with conference code 4186 (spells "I18N")

Dates    : May 21 [to be confirmed]
Start    : 18:00 GMT, 19:00 UK, 11am Pacific, 2pm Eastern,
           03:00 Japan (next day)

Dates    : May 28, June 4, 11, 18, 25; July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 etc
Start    : 13:00 GMT, 14:00 UK, 6am Pacific, 9am Eastern, 22:00 Japan
* Zakim information    : http://www.w3.org/2002/01/UsingZakim
  Zakim bridge monitor : http://www.w3.org/1998/12/bridge/Zakim.html
  Zakim IRC bot        : http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot.html

Draft agenda
============

Review of agenda

Review of actions (see below)

Review of dependencies (see below)

Review of future meetings
-  Telcons
-  Editorial meeting to deal with Last Call comments (ending 26 Jul 2002)
-  FTF#19 + Editorial meeting @ IUC22 (Sep 2002)

Internationalized Resource Identifiers (IRI) ID
-  Next steps

Triage of incoming material
-  Namespaces update
   -  Jeremy Carroll, 14 May 2002
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002May/0045
-  XML names
   -  Kentaroh Noji, 25 Mar 2002
      {Re: Char class for name in XML11 Latest WD}
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002Mar/0237
-  Fwd: The returning 639-1 freeze issue
   -  Håvard Hjulstad, 8 May 2002
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002May/0025
-  Last call announcement for XML 1.1
   -  Paul Grosso, 29 Apr 2002 [forwarded by Misha Wolf]
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002Apr/0217
      [Note: Last Call ends 28 Jun 2002]
-  Comments sought - Web Ontology Requirements Working Draft
   -  Jim Hendler, 19 Mar 2002
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2002JanMar/0120

Charmod
-  Minutes of WG meetings (Richard)
   -  2002-04-23: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-ig/2002Apr/0106
   -  2002-05-07: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002May/0029
   -  2002-05-14: [* Add address *]
-  Editorial changes pending (Richard)
   -  http://www.w3.org/International/Group/charmod-edit/pending.html
-  Review of our decision:
   -  Proposal for unregistered character encodings in section 3.6.2
      -  Comment from scribe: I don't much like: "naming the encoding
         with "x-" at the beginning".  Can we improve on this?
-  Last Call #2 comments
   -  http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2002/charmod-lc

Open Actions
============

François: Convey our position on control characters in XML 1.1 (see
minutes of 2002-05-14 meeting) to XML Core.

Richard: Create a public LC#2 DoC page, for Martin to publish.

Richard: Update charmod-edit, in readiness for edits -- see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/i18n-editor/2002May/0037
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/i18n-editor/2002May/0038

Misha: Ask that the HTML WG keep us informed of any proposed
changes with an I18N impact, see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-cg/2002JanMar/0065

Martin: Write to XML Core re insulating content from an inherited value
of xml:lang.

Martin: Place the Submit button of the comment submission form
after the Comment field.

Martin: Create a placeholder for the public version of the LC#2 DoC.
Then modify the feedback mail from the comment submission form to point
to either the member-only LC#2 DoC or the public LC#2 DoC, as
appropriate.

Martin: Write to the www-tag re URI (and IRI) equivalance.

Martin: Respond to:
-  charmod-uri
   -  Jeremy Carroll, 11 Apr 2002
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002Apr/0076

Martin: Review:
-  What Does a URI Identify?
   TAG Draft 15 Mar 2002
   http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/identify

Martin: Find out from Michael Sperberg-McQueen what XML Schema WG means
by "third item" in "2.6 Private Use Area, cont'd (third item)".

Martin: Check with Michael Sperberg-McQueen whether XML Schema WG wants
a formal response to:
   http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2002/03/charmodel.annotated.html

Martin: Start a discussion with the XML Query WG re C003.

Martin: Ask the originator of C004 whether examples would help.

Martin: Draft a new I18N Activity proposal and WG charter.

Martin: Send UTF-8 test files to the maintainer of the XML Test suite.

Martin: Respond to:
-  Re: Fwd: Re: NFC
   -  Joseph Reagle, 21 Mar 2002
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2002Mar/0228

Martin: Review VoiceXML 2.0 Last Call.

Dependencies
============

UTC: Unicode Consortium to cover white space handling in a TR.
[Mark/Michel to keep us informed of progress]

XML Schema WG: Respond to us on white space processing
-  François Yergeau, 2001-10-03
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-wg/2001Oct/0032

Martin/Asmus: Add non-characters to UXML.

Michael Sperberg-McQueen: Respond to our question re the "third item" in
"2.6 Private Use Area, cont'd (third item)".

OASIS XLIFF TC: Respond to our:
DECIDED: We'll form a liasion with the OASIS XLIFF TC. The I18N WG will
endeavour to review, in a timely manner, documents provided to us for
review by the OASIS XLIFF TC. The liaison person from our end will be
Richard Ishida. We hope the OASIS XLIFF TC will reach a reciprocal
decision and also that a number of OASIS XLIFF TC will join the I18N IG
list.

We've asked the following WGs to review Charmod by 31 May:
   WG        Agreed   Done   Liaison
   CSS          Y            Bert Bos
   DOM          Y            Philippe Le Hégaret
   HTML         Y            Steven Pemberton
   QA           Y            Karl Dubost
   RDF          Y            Brian McBride/Dan Brickley
   TAG          Y            Chris Lilley
   WAI PF       Y            Al Gilman
   WSA          Y            Chris Ferris
   XForms       Y            Steven Pemberton
   XML Core     Y            Paul Grosso/Arnaud Le Hors
   XMLP         Y            David Fallside
   XML Query                 Paul Cotton
   XML Schema   Y            Michael Sperberg-McQueen/Dave Hollander
   XML Sig      Y            Joseph Reagle/Donald Eastlake
   XSL          Y            Sharon Adler

Misha

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
the views of Reuters Ltd.

--
Tony Jewtushenko    mailto:tony.jewtushenko@oracle.com
Chair - OASIS XLIFF TC