Subject: Re: [xliff] context-group proposal

Hi John,

On reading your mail below I noticed one thing with regard to multiple attribute values. In our spec we indicate that a semi-colon should be used as a separator. I have checked this up and found that a space must be used for lists (to allow list validation) using Schema. Therefore I think we will have to change the reference to multiple attribute values in the 'Values' section of the introduction to the XLIFF spec to say that spaces should be used to separate multiple attribute values and add a note that the use of semi-colons or other separators is not supported.
This also adds the restriction to the specification that defined attribute values should never contain spaces, unless the attribute is of type 'xsd:string', and I think we will have to update the XLIFF schema to account for all occurrences of attributes which may be lists.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Levins
IBM Software Group | Dublin Software Laboratory | Airways Industrial Estate | Cloghran | Dublin 17 | Ireland
Phone: +353 1 7046676 | IBM Tie Line 166676

John Reid <JREID@novell.com>

06/12/2002 15:58

xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [xliff] context-group proposal

I propose the following purpose attribute values:

- location, The context-group is used to specify where the term was found in the translatable source. Thus, it is not displayed.

- match,  Specifies that the context information should be used during translation memory lookups. Thus, it is not displayed.

- information, Specifies that the context is informational in nature, indicating for example, how a term should be translated. Thus, should be displayed to anyone editing the XLIFF.

Combinations of these values can be made via the standard mechanism of XLIFF. Thus, purpose="location;match" would provide both location and TM matching contextual information. The schemas for this is below.

xliff-1-1.xsd
?-------------
<xsd:complexType name="ElemType_context-group">

<xsd:sequence maxOccurs="unbounded">
<xsd:element name="context" type="xlf:ElemType_context"/>

</xsd:sequence>
<xsd:attribute name="name" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
<xsd:attribute name="purpose" type="xsd:string" use="optional"/>
<xsd:attribute name="crc" type="xsd:NMTOKEN" use="optional"/>

</xsd:complexType>

xliff-values-1-1.xsd
?-----------------------
<xsd:simpleType name="context-purposeValueListStd">

<xsd:annotation>
<xsd:documentation>Values for the attribute 'purpose'.</xsd:documentation>

</xsd:annotation>
<xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">

<xsd:enumeration value="location">
<xsd:annotation>

<xsd:appinfo><xyz:proposal>Mark Levins</xyz:proposal></xsd:appinfo>
<xsd:documentation>The context-group is used to specify where the term was found in the translatable source. Thus, it is not displayed.</xsd:documentation>

</xsd:annotation>
</xsd:enumeration>
<xsd:enumeration value="match">

<xsd:annotation>
<xsd:appinfo><xyz:proposal>Mark Levins/John Reid</xyz:proposal></xsd:appinfo>
<xsd:documentation>Specifies that the context information should be used during translation memory lookups. Thus, it is not displayed.</xsd:documentation>

</xsd:annotation>
</xsd:enumeration>
<xsd:enumeration value="information">

<xsd:annotation>
<xsd:appinfo><xyz:proposal>Mark Levins</xyz:proposal></xsd:appinfo>
<xsd:documentation>Specifies that the context is informational in nature, indicating for example, how a term should be translated. Thus, should be displayed to anyone editing the XLIFF.</xsd:documentation>

</xsd:annotation>
</xsd:enumeration>

</xsd:restriction>
</xsd:simpleType>