Subject: Re: [xliff] Proposal: Add phase-name attribute to <count>

Hi John,

I like your proposal, it more completely defines the original goal I was trying to reach, and is also consistent with the recommended 'phase' usage.

I would also agree with your suggestion to add the 'modified' and 'untranslated' attribute values to the specification for 'count-type'.

Thanks also for picking up this particular 'dropped ball'.

Regards,
Mark

John Reid <jreid@novell.com>

29/12/2002 18:24

xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[xliff] Proposal: Add phase-name attribute to <count>

Hi All,

Mark Levins initiated the discussion that led directly to the <tool>
element proposal with the following proposal:

"1. <note> as a child of <count>
"Currently the <count> element is very ambiguous, a note as a child
element could be used to indicate what was being counted, what was
considered a word etc. "

After considerable discussion, the <tool> element was proposed and a
reference to it replaced the tool attribute whereever it was found.
Unfortunately, the original intent of Mark's proposal was never resolved
because <count> never had a tool attribute. Counts are still being
generated by an unknown tool in an unknown phase.

Proposal: Add phase-name attribute to <count>

We already have a <phase> element that stores the tool-id used in that
phase. The phase-name attribute could be added to <count>. Thus, when
that count was produced and by what, could be ascertained by any
subsequent tool and a determination of it to use the count could be
made.

Thus, Tool X can supply a count in phase 1:

<phase-group>
<phase phase-name="create"

process-name="creation"
tool-id="ToolX"
date="2002-04-10T09:41:02Z"/>

</phase-group>

<count-group name="example">
<count

phase-name="create"
count-type="untranslated">132</count>

</count-group>

Tool Y can add an update to it in phase 2:

<phase-group>
<phase phase-name="create"

process-name="creation"
tool-id="ToolX"
date="2002-04-10T09:41:02Z"/>

<phase phase-name="translate"
process-name="translation"
tool-id="ToolY"
date="2002-04-11T11:43:04Z"/>

</phase-group>

<count-group name="example">
<count phase-name="create"

count-type="untranslated">132</count>
<count phase-name="translate"

count-type="untranslated">43</count>
</count-group>

and Tool Z can update Tool X's count and ignore Tool Z's in phase 3:

<phase-group>
<phase phase-name="create"

process-name="creation"
tool-id="ToolX"
date="2002-04-10T09:41:02Z"/>

<phase phase-name="translate"
process-name="translation"
tool-id="ToolY"
date="2002-04-11T11:43:04Z"/>

<phase phase-name="review"
process-name="proofreading"
tool-id="ToolZ"
date="2002-04-12T11:43:04Z"/>

</phase-group>

<count-group name="example">
<count phase-name="create"

count-type="untranslated">132</count>
<count phase-name="translate"

count-type="untranslated">43</count>
<count phase-name="review"

count-type="untranslated">56</count>
</count-group>

A more complete example follows. Here ToolX, a text extractor, creates
the XLIFF. It generates a total word count for the file. ToolY is used
to pretranslate the file. It generates a higher total word count and
provides counts of various matches done during that phase. The
translation is done using ToolZ. Its total word count matches that
produced by ToolX and it provides a untranslated count, marked via an
extended value. ToolZ is also used for the review. Here again the total
word count matches that of the create  and translate phases; however, a
new extended value is added for the modified word count.

<phase-group>
<phase phase-name="create"

process-name="creation"
tool-id="ToolX"
date="2002-04-10T09:41:02Z"/>

<phase phase-name="pretrans"
process-name="pre-translation"
tool-id="ToolY"
date="2002-04-11T11:43:04Z"/>

<phase phase-name="translate"
process-name="translation"
tool-id="ToolZ"
date="2002-04-11T11:43:04Z"/>

<phase phase-name="review"
process-name="proofreading"
tool-id="ToolZ"
date="2002-04-12T11:43:04Z"/>

</phase-group>

<count-group name="example">
<count phase-name="create" count-type="total">1324</count>

<count phase-name="pretrans" count-type="total">1423</count>
<count phase-name="pretrans" count-type="exact-match">989</count>
<count phase-name="pretrans" count-type="fuzzy-match">214</count>
<count phase-name="pretrans" count-type="new">220</count>

<count phase-name="translate" count-type="total">1324</count>
<count phase-name="translate" count-type="x-untranslated">0</count>

<count phase-name="review" count-type="total">1324</count>
<count phase-name="review" count-type="x-modified">56</count>

</count-group>

We may also want to consider adding the modified and untranslated
attribute values to the count-type attribute of <count>.

cheers,
john