Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF inline tags

Hi David and all,

1--

</g> when paired codes do not follow XML well-formedness rules (i.e. no
overlapping elements). If the paired codes follow that rule, it is strongly
recommended that the <g> element is used because it simplifies processing.

[My personal opinion on that is that the original file should be fixed in
those cases, and therefore we shouldn't need <bx/> and <ex/>].

2--

You are very correct about the discripancies between the <g>/<x> forms and
functionality as far as rid, pos, assoc, and clone.

I think crc not in <g> and <x> is ok. My understanding of crc is that it's
used to get the checksum of the code content, to verify whether it has been
modified or not. Therefore since <g> and <x/> have no code content (their
code parts is either in the skeleton or re-created), they don't need crc.

3--

For source to target mapping: I would expect that id values cannot be
changed. The elements could be moded yes (and actually maybe we should have
a 'move' attribute like we have a 'clone'), but not changed.

The more I look at rid, the more I think it has the role the new xid
attribute is having (this attribute comes from OpenTag, and there too it
seems clearly to have the role xid has). The only case where the 1.0
specification mention rid to match elements within a segment is for <bx/>
and <ex/> and I'm guessing it rid was chosen because it was there. The
specification says: "These paired elements are related via their rid
attributes" which seem to hint that both <ex/> and <bx/> with the same rid
would be linked. I see a number of issues with this:

a) The rid is only optional in those elements, shouldn't it be mandatory if
it has such important function?

b) The logical way to use rid (to me) would be to refer to an id, not
another rid.

c) Another illogical aspect is that we match <bpt> and <ept> with id. Why
using rid for <bx/> and <ex/>

I think a lot of the problems we are having in inline elements come from the
fact that we have not worked on enough outputs using those tags.

That was my 2 cents for the day,