Subject: Re: [xliff] Mime type values

Hi Tony,

Is there a way we could allow subtype specification in the schema without specifying all the known media subtypes; e.g. "image/gif"? In other words, can we enumerate a list of types with an undefined subtype list in a pattern? If not, I guess we are stuck with listing only the media types.

cheers,
john

>>> Tony Jewtushenko <tony.jewtushenko@oracle.com> 2/24/03 4:21:56 AM >>>
Hi all:

An open 1.1 issue yet to be fully resolved relates to the list of Mime types.  Assuming that we only list the media types and don't attempt to capture subtypes (there's no closed list),  according to RFC2046 the list of mime types should be:

    text
    image
    audio
    video
    application
    multipart
    message

We could try to list all known types in our spec,  but I don't recommend this because the list would be both enormous and always incomplete.  However,  we could list the basic type for each (which are provided as examples in the RFC itiself).

What's the opinion of the group?

Regards,
Tony
--
Tony Jewtushenko				mailto:tony.jewtushenko@oracle.com
Sr. Tools Program Manager			direct tel: +353.1.8039080