Subject: Re: [xliff] Description of the 'id' attribute - proposal

My quick thoughts...

I've no real problem with the wording change but I do foresee a slight problem where a vendor, working with a XLIFF file and its corresponding skeleton file may have problems reassembling a final translated file (if needed, say, for test purposes). I think this is why we originally included 'unique' in the definition.

Regards,

Mark Levins
IBM Software Group,
Dublin Software Laboratory,
Airways Industrial Estate,
Cloghran,
Dublin 17,
Ireland.
Phone: +353 1 704 6676
IBM Tie Line 166676

"Yves Savourel" <ysavourel@translate.com>

24/03/2003 23:14
Please respond to
<ysavourel@translate.com>

"XLIFF list" <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[xliff] Description of the 'id' attribute - proposal

Hi all,

John, Enda and I were looking at some aspects of the XLIFF representation
for RC and we ran into a possibly unclear description for the 'id' attribute
(in relation to 'resname') It currently reads:

"Identifier - The id attribute is used in many elements, as a unique
reference to the original corresponding code data or format for the given
element. the id element is not the identifier of a resource: use resname for
that purpose."

We tend to think a better wording could be as follow:

"The id attribute is used in many elements as a reference to the original
corresponding code data or format for the given element. The value of the id
element is determined by the tool creating the XLIFF document. It may or may
not be a resource identifier. The identifier of a resource should, at least,
be stored in the resname attribute."

The ideas are:
a) To remove the word "unique" because 'id' values are not necessarily
unique in a document.
b) To make sure filters put ID/Name of resources in the resname attribute
(and, if they want, in the id attribute too).

We would also add couple of example of usage such as for instance:

<trans-unit id="34" resname="IDD_ABOUT_DLG" restype="dialog"
coord="0;0;235;100" font="MS Sans Serif;8" style="0x0932239">
<source>About Dialog</source>

</trans-unit>

<trans-unit id="IDD_ABOUT_DLG" resname="IDD_ABOUT_DLG" restype="dialog"
coord="0;0;235;100" font="MS Sans Serif;8" style="0x0932239">
<source>About Dialog</source>

</trans-unit>

kenavo,