Subject: Re: [xliff] Xliff TC Teleconference Meeting - 15th April 2003

Title:
Hi Doug and all:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner - was caught up in meetings all day.

To add a bit more detail to what Gerard offered in his mail - I need "new" in order to identify new objects have been added without determination of what needs to happen to them,  for instance when objects from a new build are merged into an existing,  perhaps partially translated, XLIFF file.

What to do with these items (ie,  mark them as "needs-translation", or identify them as in a "finished" state) may only be determined by inspection and manual assignment of an appropriate status by a localization engineer.

I think an item with a "new" state could transition to any other basic state (with exception of "translated",  and "leveraged" ,  and "needs-review-...".  Also,  note that I'm not suggesting that "new" is a required initial state - if your processes are automated enough then you could specify at authoring point that the item begins with an initial states of "needs-translation" or whatever is appropriate.

Regards,
Tony

Doug Domeny wrote:
Message
Thanks for the explanation. It now makes sense to me to have "new" as a value. In my case, I would skip the "new" state and go directly to "needs-translation" because I create the XLIFF with only text that needs to be translated.

Yves, I recommend adding an explanation similar to Gerard's in the specification document for the "new" value of the "state" attribute.

Regards,

Doug Domeny
Software Analyst

Ektron, Inc.