Subject: Re: [xliff] Language for bilingual <file>

Title:
>>>Tony Jewtushenko wrote:
I'll be updating the spec with Doug's submission today and generating a revised spec tomorrow,  so this is your last chance to suggest changes to the language...
<<<

Section 2.
1. Over-use of "contain" and its variants. May replace with "found".

Section 2.4
1. 3rd pgh, "The two first types ..." s/b "The first two types ..."
2. 5th pgh, Use of "segment" should be changed to "source"
3. Maybe we should write rules for using mark-up tags as TMX has done rather than referencing TMX's rules, since they are incomplete for us. The following is my suggestion. However, because I never use the <g> tag, those that use <g> may want to expound on that tag.

"Rules for Inlines Elements

The <ex/> element should be followed by a matching <ex/> element. These paired elements are related via their rid attributes.

"Use <it> for opening or closing each code that has no corresponding closing or opening code in the source element.
"In some cases, because of the segmentation, you may have opening and closing codes that have no corresponding closing or opening codes within the same source element. Use <it> to encapsulate those codes. <it> has a mandatory attribute pos that should be set to "begin" or "end" depending on whether the isolated code is an opening or a closing code.

"Standalone codes are codes that are not opening or closing of a pair, for example empty elements in XML.

"Use <g> to replace any inline code of the original document that has a beginning and an end and can be moved within its parent structural element. Use the required id attribute to relate begin and end <g> tags.

Other demands have limited my ability to review any further. If this is my last chance to review the spec, I hope you have done a thorough job of it.

regards,
-john