Subject: Re: [xliff] RE: Filenaming

Title:
Yves - hold off on any renaming for now.

I see four options for document naming:
  1. Leave the names as they are,  change them only if peer-review / standards approval process flunks us on the basis of the document naming.
  1. Physically rename all the documents now.
  1. Create URL's that logically reference the existing documents - leave physical document names as they are.
  1. Create a second version of the documents - maintain originals as well

I'm recommending option #1 as the best course of action - we will address the naming convention issue at the end of the peer review period,  if and when it becomes an issue.  Renaming in haste is a bit too risky,  and could create technical problems during the peer - review period.  It's very likely that we'll have to change the names after the peer review concludes,  before we submit to OASIS for standards review.  Over the next 45 days we must develop a plan for renaming with minimum disruption and re-work. After we've renamed the spec & supporting documents (by mid - Sept),  we'll have a ballot to accept the renamed and possibly revised documents as Committee Specification and supporting documents.

Any comments / disagreements / alternative suggestions?

If there's no further discussion on the issue of renaming,  then below is the proposed text of the XLIFF 1.1. peer review announcement that I intend to have Karl distribute on Friday.  Feel free to comment - but please be aware that I'm planning to send this to Karl tomorrow (Thursday):

OASIS members, XML developers, standards and localisation industry colleagues:

The OASIS XLIFF TC has approved XLIFF 1.1 as a Committee Specification, and now starts a 45 day public review prior to submitting this specification to OASIS members for consideration as an OASIS Standard, in accordance with "Section 2 Standards Process" of the OASIS Technical Committee Process document (see http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml#approval_spec).

The public review starts 11 Aug and ends 24 September 2003.

Link to the XLIFF 1.1 Specification documents are available at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff-specification.htm

Link to XLIFF 1.1 Schema is available at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff-core-1.1.xsd

Link to XLIFF 1.1 Whitepaper is available at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/download.php/3110/XLIFF-core-whitepaper_1.1-cs.pdf

Comments are welcome from all interested parties and may be submitted to the XLIFF comment list:
xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org.

Persons who are not subscribed to this list may post comments to it but will have to confirm the message via a token return.

Any comments made can be viewed at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-comment/

Gerard Cattin des Bois wrote:
I agree. This naming convention needs revisiting.
Cheers,
-Gérard