Subject: Re: [xliff] Problem with the note proposal

Hi John:

The change in trans-unit that you suggest:
change to the <trans-unit> statement, above, such as, "All child elements of <trans-unit> pertain to their sibling <source> element, unless noted or logically related otherwise."
doesn't address the problem that the values for note's annotates attrib would be invalid outside of <trans-unit>.    For example, <note annotates="source">
is perfectly valid in <header>,  but what meaning would it have?  It seems to me that outside of <trans-unit>,  annotates could only have the value "general",  since  "source" and "target" would be ambiguous.  The only way to fix that is to only permit annotates = its siblings name.

I can abort (by deleting) the ballot,  but I won't.  We'll go through the balloting process to completion.  By the way,  it is possible to change your vote anytime up until the ballot closes,  in case anyone has second thoughts.

Note that if the measure passes,  those strongly against it have the right to author a minority report when we vote on the committee spec.  The minority report then becomes part of the specification.

Regards,
Tony

John Reid wrote:
Tony,

My comments follow:

I have heard back from Karl,  and the definition of "substantive" is

subjective,  and totally up to the individual TC to determine if

changes

to spec warrant conducting another peer review period.  From our
previous discussions,  I infer that the TC would consider these

changes

to be non-substantive,  and therefore we would chose against having
another peer review.

Good. I agree. This is not substantive unless we change current meaning
and usage.

Good points about the <note> annotates attrib.  However,  regarding

your

reading of the <note> spec,  John,  the present 1.1 spec is totally
ambiguous about what <note> refers to and does not specify that note

refers to <source>.  The present definition says:

    "The content of <note> may be instructions from developers about

how

    to handle the <source>, comments from the translator about the
    translation, or any comment from anyone involved in processing

the

    XLIFF file.".

Please look carefully at the word "may"  - it indicates that the

content

of note can refer to anything at all,  including "comments from the
translator about the translation (e.g., target)".  So the spec prose

regarding "<source>" is simply an example of possible usage and not
canonical.

I was not clear. For the <trans-unit>, not the <note>,  the 1.1 spec
says,

"All child elements of <trans-unit> pertain to their sibling <source>
element."

Thus, a strict reading of this says any <note> in a <trans-unit>
pertains to the <source>. It would be the <trans-unit> that would need
changing. Maybe the ambiguity of <note> could be addressed another
time.

In any case,  it looks like we may need to abort this ballot item,

but

I can't do it until we reconvene the meeting next week. ...

I don't believe we can abort a ballot item. If it doesn't pass, we can
consider alternatives as you and I have discussed.

It might be that others think my interpretation is too strict and that
no change is required to the <trans-unit>. A simple change to the

--
Tony Jewtushenko					mailto:tony.jewtushenko@oracle.com
Principal Product Manager				direct tel: +353.1.8039080