Subject: XLIFF and XForms addendum

Hi,

First of all thank you to David and Bryan for bringing additional
translatable elements to my attention. As you may have gathered I am not
an expert (yet) on XForms.

Having trawled through the documentation again I can confirm that the
following elements can contain translatable text by virtue of their
schema content being declared as <xsd:complexType mixed="true">:

1) <label> - contains the form input control description.
2) <hint> - contains a message that is shown at the discretion of the
XForm processor, for instance when a mouse hovers over the control.
3) <help> - contains a message that is shown when a user explicitly
requests help by for instance pressing the F1 key.
4) <alert> - contains a message that is to be displayed when an error
condition arises as in the case of a form validation error.
5) <value> - contains item values for list controls.
6) <message> - there are three types of message, specified but their
"level" attribute: modal, ephemeral and modeless. Messages are under the
control of XForms actions and are triggered when specific XForm events
occur.

In addition the <setvalue> XForms action is used to dynamically set the
value of a field and its content model is defined as <xsd:simpleContent>.

O'Reilly's XForms Essentials by Micah Dubinko recommends the following
technique for XForms localization:

Rather than embedding translatable text directly into an XForm such as:

<input bind="term">
   <label>Search:</label>
</input>
<select bind="where">
   <label>Search the following locations on this web site:</label>
   <item>
     <label>Product information</label>
.
.
.

An external file should be used to hold the translatable text using the
following notation:

<instance id="strings" src="l18n-strings.xml"/>

<input bind="term">
</input>
<select bind="where">
   <item>
.
.
.

Where the contents of l18n-strings.xml would be:

<strings>
   <msg.top>Please complete the following questions</msg.top>
   <label.term>Search:</label.term>
   <label.where>Search the following locations on this web
site:</label.where>
   <label.where.item1>Product information</label.where.item1>
.
.
</strings>

Attributes:

In all of the extensive XForms examples that I have sifted through I
have not come across anything that would approximate to the use of
attributes as translatable text in any form. That is not to say that
this could occur. Most attributes in XForms are designed for use as
XPath and XSDSchema control and action settings or as reference
variables. If anyone else could throw more light on this I would be
grateful. I have written to the XForms discussion list
(www-forms@w3c.org) seeking clarification on this issue and confirmation
regarding translatable elements.

Regards,

AZ

--

email - azydron@xml-intl.com
smail - Mr. A.Zydron

may not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless
explicitly stated otherwise this message is provided for informational
purposes only and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.