Subject: Segmentation Issues in XLIFF

All:

Magnus Martikainen of Trados has recently raised some issues with respect to XLIFF and segmentation (see email trail below).   Although we've purposefully chosen to not deal with segmentation in our XLIFF specifications to date,  our current work on resource representation guides provides a good reference point for initial discussion of this topic.

The segmentation topic is sufficiently complex,  broad and deep that I suggest we create a subcommittee (formal or informal) to delve into it rather than attempt to address it in open committee meetings (the next one,  by the way,  is next Tuesday,  17 March 2003).  I'll add the segmentation topic to our teleconference agenda,  but feel free make your views and thoughts known to the TC via email.

Regards,
Tony

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Questions on XLIFF
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:45:24 -0800
From: Magnus Martikainen <magnus@trados.com>
To: Tony Jewtushenko <Tony.Jewtushenko@oracle.com>, Magnus Martikainen <magnus@trados.com>
CC: Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com>, Jochen Hummel <Jochen@trados.com>, John Reid <JREID@novell.com>

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your kind reply and the invitation to join the Technical Committee. I am very interested in contributing to this development, and TRADOS will be looking closer into our different options for joining OASIS.

I am glad to hear of your initiative to advance this topic. I have no objections to you forwarding my thoughts on this matter to other members of the committee or the public XLIFF mailing list, and I would be very interested in hearing opinions, input, and ideas from other members.

Regards,

Magnus