Subject: RE: [xliff] Profile: inline codes in software string

Hi Yves,

My recommendation would be to always treat them as protected "inline codes".
Some good reasons for this:
- This makes it obvious that they should be treated as placeholders during
translation.
- Characters that would otherwise be interpreted differently e.g. '%' in the
case of RC etc., can be represented as plain text without being mixed up
with the placeholders. Thus the translator does not need to be aware of the
underlying file format (e.g. to know that they must write %% when they mean
%). The filter can completely handle this conversion.
- It is possible to use "generic" tag verification tools to compare content
in <source> and <target> elements to get warnings if such placeholders have
been added, removed, or if their order has changed. (Otherwise this type of
verification would require a knowledge of the underlying file format and an
actual parsing of the text.)

Cheers,
Magnus

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Savourel [mailto:ysavourel@translate.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 9:25 AM
To: 'XLIFF Main List'
Subject: [xliff] Profile: inline codes in sftware string

Hi all,

Since some of us are (or will be) working on Java, .NET resources, etc. I
was wondering if we could have a consistant approach on inline codes for
those type of resources.

Many strings have variable palceholders. For example: "{0}" in Java and
.NET, "%s" in RC, etc.

Most current translation tools do not do anything with them (i.e. they are
treated as text). But some companies (customers and providers) prefer to
actually treat them as inline code as they are protected and can be verified
during translation.

In my opinion it would be good to have a recommendation (consistant across
formats) in either they should be treated as inline code or not.

OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/members/leave_workgroup.p
hp.