Subject: RE: [xliff] HTML Inline codes

Hi Yves,

Thank you for posting the list of HTML elements.  You've done some great
work.

When you say discrepancies, are you referring to cases where some elements
are identified as belonging to more than one category (Inline? Empty?
PCDATA? Mixed? Wrapper?)?

I think of these categories as belonging to two higher level groups.

I think Empty, PCDATA, Wrapper, and Mixed belong to a group that
characterizes the element's content model, and whether or not the element
contains just text, just elements, both, or neither.

In DTD terms, they would be like this:

<!ELEMENT SomeElement EMPTY > = Empty
<!ELEMENT SomeElement	(#PCDATA) > = PCDATA
<!ELEMENT SomeElement	(ThisElement,ThatElement) > = Wrapper
<!ELEMENT SomeElement  (#PCDATA | ThisElement | ThatElement)* > = Mixed

I think Inline belongs to a group that characterizes an element's hierarchy.
Inline elements would be any element that has text nodes as siblings.

<SomeElement>This text <MyInline>is a sibling
             of this element</MyInline>. That
             makes "MyInline" an inline element</SomeElement>

I guess you could Wrapper would also belong to in this higher group, as the
opposite of Inline.

If my higher level groups are correct, I think the only discrepancies could
be elements identified as Wrapper and Mixed (or any combination from the
first group), for example, or elements identified as Inline and Wrapper.

Sorry if this note is difficult to follow.  I'm just trying to figure out
how to help solve the discrepancies for our list.