Subject: RE: [xliff] HTML Inline codes

Yves,

The comments from David, Bryan and Shigemichi are very insightful. They show
that segmentation is really part of the issue. Originally I was thinking to
have <br> not be inline, therefore creating a new segment (i.e., new
<source> element). But I've dealt with C-style strings with "\n" in them and
represented the line break as <x ctype="lb"/>, which is inline.

I think it's safer to represent tags as inline in XLIFF because it gives the
translator more flexibility in word order than to have a logical segment
separated into multiple <source> elements. However, I wouldn't necessarily
require all the inline tags to be inline. Segmentation, whether human or
machine, may decide that <br> should not be inline in a particular instance.
This was Shigemichi's point with his example of two sentences within a
text.</p>. Here the segmentation breaks semantically at the sentence level
rather than at the HTML tag level.

Here are my comments on the HTML tags.

[ ] applet = allows PCDATA, mixed, wrapper for <param>
[ ] bgsound = empty
[ ] body = allows PCDATA
[ ] br = inline
[ ] center = NOT empty, allows PCDATA
[ ] del = inline
[ ] dir = NOT mixed, just a wrapper
[ ] embed = NO PCDATA
[ ] frame = NO PCDATA
[ ] frameset = NO PCDATA
[ ] ia = NOT HTML??
[ ] iframe = mixed
[ ] listing = depends on browser
[ ] marquee = mixed
[ ] menu = NOT mixed
[ ] nobr = not rendered, so neither inline nor block
[ ] object = inline, mixed, wrapper for <param>
[ ] param = not rendered, so neither inline nor block
[ ] plaintext = tags not rendered  (supported by NS 6)
[ ] script = inline
[ ] spacer = empty
[ ] xml = mixed
[ ] xmp = tags not rendered