[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Minutes from 16 Nov 2004 XLIFF TC meeting
Here are the minutes from the past TC meeting. Please review these and let me know if they need to be amended before our next meeting. Thanks. jr Date: Tuesday, 16 November 2004 Time: 04:00pm - 05:00pm Greenwich Mean Time Minutes 1. Roll Call, and introduction of prospective member Paul Gampe of Red Hat. > Eiju, Florian, Tony, Bryan, john, Mat, Magnus, Christian, David, Yves 2. Approve or amend previous Meeting Minutes: > David proposed acceptance, Yves seconded 3/ Work in Progress: a. Adding extension points at Source & Target: - Action Item: Gérard will investigate how other TCs are handling unknown extension points within content and report to the TC. > This item is still open. Tony asked if anyone would help Gérard but no one stepped forward. Gérard was not present so further discussion on this item was deferred to our next meeting. b. Representation Guides: i. HTML: Initial: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00008.html Feedback from Doug: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00016.html > Yves will compile all comments and repost. c. Unresolved issues: i. Translation of Voice XML Issues - Action Item: Mat will submit a proposal on how to handle Voice XML issues. Initial: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00016.html Latest Update: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00017.html > No action on this item. Still waiting for resolution of namespace issue from Representation Guides. ii. Accepting Suggested Translations In XLIFF - Action Item: Mat to submit a proposal. Initial: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200407/msg00000.html Latest Update: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00017.html > Mat submitted a proposal and Magnus responded. Mat said that he needed a way to tell if a suggested alt-trans was used and if was modified. He proposed one of four methods of adding an attribute to the alt-trans to do this. Magnus further suggested that he needed to know why an alt-trans was used/not-used/modified so that he could properly update his TM, thus he proposed a second additional attribute. Furthermore, Magnus objected to allowing alt-trans to have multiple targets or represent a history of translations. Mat pointed out that Magnus's point 4 gives him what he needs. It was agreed the three issues that needed to be decided were the attributes needed, the values for those attributes, and whether we would amend the spec or rely on extension points. Action Items: 1. Mat will put his and Magnus's comments together and repost the proposal. 2. Magnus will put together proposals to restricting alt-trans use 4/ Status Report from Segmentation SC (Magnus) Meeting minutes of the last Seg SC: Next meeting will be Tuesday 23 November. > Magnus reported that the subcommittee has prepared a proposal of items that have concensus but that the main proposal is still being worked on. The 1st proposal should be ready by Christmas. 5/ Related work in other standards groups a. W3C i18n - updates from liaison if required. > Yves reported that nothing new has come forward. This is in committee review. b. Oscar - updates from liaison if required. > Gérard was not present so there was no discussion c. XLIFF use SRX. - Action Item: Gérard is to investigate and report on how XLIFF can consume. > Gérard was not present so there was no discussion d. TransWS use of XLIFF > Peter was not present so there was no discussion 6/ XLIFF Charter Clarification: Initial Draft: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00000.html Feedback from Karl Best: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00002.html Feedback from Bryan: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00003.html Review of the Charter and the comments from Karl and Bryan: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00009.html Latest draft: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00009.html TC Short Description proposals: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00001.html > Tony said that we operate under OASIS IPR policy, thus there is no need for an IPR statement in the charter. Christian said he would still want some statement concerning IPR for 1.0 in the charter. Tony pointed out that OASIS IPR is changing and that we could change to a royalty free (RF) IPR rather than the current reasonable and non-discriminatory (RAND) policy. John questioned whether the early player, IBM and Sun, would accept RF. Tony said that OASIS would help us get the RF from the original contributors so that the complication is theirs, not ours. Tony thus proposed that we remove the IPR statements from the charter and have a separate IPR document. There was no objection to that proposal. Action Item: 1. Tony will modify the charter and post. 2. Tony will create a ballot to accept the modified charter. Leadership / TC Officers: Tony suggested that we may want to elect new officers since his duties are moving out of L10n. However, it was decided that we would stay the course until there was a need to change. 7/ All other business > Bryan and Tony were speaking at the Localization World conference a few hours after the TC teleconference. > Next meeting will be Dec. 21. Action Items - Action Item: Gérard will investigate how other TCs are handling unknown extension points within content and report to the TC. - Action Item: Mat will submit a proposal on how to handle Voice XML issues. - Action Item: Gérard is to investigate and report on how XLIFF can consume SRX. New Action Items: - Action Item: Yves will compile all comments on proposed HTML representation guide and repost. - Action Item: Mat will put his and Magnus's comments together concerning accepting an alt-trans and repost the proposal. - Action Item: Magnus will put together proposals to restricting alt-trans use - Action Item: Tony will modify the charter and post. - Action Item: Tony will create a ballot to accept the modified charter.