Subject: Groups - XLIFF TC Monthly Teleconference modified

XLIFF TC Monthly Teleconference has been modified by Peter Reynolds

Date:  Tuesday, 15 February 2005
Time:  04:00pm - 05:00pm GMT

Event Description:
Standing monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference.
1. Call one of the MeetingPlace phone numbers:
From the AMER region dial: * 1-888-967-2253 * +1-650-607-2253
From the APAC region dial: * +61 2 8817 6100
From the EMEA region dial: * +44 118 924 9000

2. Enter the Meeting ID (126680) followed by the # key

3. Press 1 to confirm the
Meeting ID

4. If the organizer has not started the meeting you will be:

a. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key
b. Placed in the waiting room on music hold until the organizer starts the meeting. If the organizer has started the meeting you will be: a. Asked to enter the Meeting Password (030543)
b. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key

Agenda:
1/roll call:

2/Previous meeting minutes:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200501/msg00008.html

3/ Work in Progress:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200501/msg00003.html
a. Adding extension points at Source & Target:
- Action Item: Mat (and/or Tony) to investigate how other TCs are handling unknown extension points within content and report to the TC.

b. Representation Guides:
i. HTML (Bryan)
Initial: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00008.html
Feedback from Doug: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00016.html
Status update

c. Unresolved issues:
i. Translation of Voice XML Issues
- Action Item: Mat will submit a proposal on how to handle Voice XML issues.
Initial: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00016.html
Latest Update: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00017.html
Waiting for resolution of namespace issue from Representation Guides.

ii. Accepting Suggested Translations In XLIFF
- Mat put his and Magnus's comments together and reposted the proposal:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200412/msg00003.html
Initial: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200407/msg00000.html
Update: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00017.html
Magnus will put together proposals to restricting alt-trans use

4/ Status Report from Segmentation SC (Magnus)

5/ Related work in other standards groups
a. W3C i18n - updates from liaison if required.

b. Oscar - updates from liaison if required.
- Action Item: Tony to investigate and report on how XLIFF can consume SRX.

c. TransWS use of XLIFF - updates from liaison if required.

6/ XLIFF Charter Clarification:
Final version -> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200502/msg00000.html
Result of  ballot:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/ballot.php?id=685&;

7/ All other business

Next meeting: 15 March, 2005, 4pm BST/8am PST

Minutes:
1/roll call:
There were 8 members present as recorded in KAVI. Kevin Bargary of the LRC also attended.
Apologies: Christian.

2/Previous meeting minutes:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200501/msg00008.html
The minutes of the last meeting were agreed as a correct record. Propposed by Andrzej and seconded by Bryan.

3/ Work in Progress:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200501/msg00003.html
a. Adding extension points at Source & Target:
Tony will be looking after this building on Mats work.

b. Representation Guides:
i. HTML (Bryan)
Initial: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00008.html
Feedback from Doug: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200410/msg00016.html
Report from Bryan: The HTML profile is nearly ready to submit to the whole TC for review.
- There are about 20 comments that Yves and I left in the working draft that
mostly document "to-do's" and housekeeping type things.  I should be able to
clear these no later than our March teleconference.
- Yves and I took a look at a larger issue.  In the current draft of the
profile we prescribe at least two philosophical approaches.  In a few of our
examples we make use of a method that enables abstraction of html code, like
this:

But in most of the profile, we prescribe the cleaner, more XSLT-friendly,
less abstract able approach, like this:
<g ctype='x-html-i'>picabo, big-air</g>,
  and <g ctype='x-html-i'> yard-sale</g>

Yves mentioned that the former (more abstraction friendly method) would
mitigate the need to have a skeleton file.  But I'm confident we can handle
the entire HTML vocabulary, using the cleaner method, without resorting to a
skeleton file.
Yves and I kicked this around a little, and agreed would be best to pick one
method, and recommend it, but to at least explain the other method, and
offer maybe one example.
I think it would be best to recommend the cleaner method, and go with it,
throughout the profile.  But to add a short section that explains the other
approach, and sketches out an example.
I guess my goal would be to get consensus on this.  I could then commit to
having a draft of the profile complete in time for our March meeting.
The meeting agreed with Bryans proposal . Bryan will post a draft before the next meeting.

c. Unresolved issues:
i. Translation of Voice XML Issues
- Action Item: Mat will submit a proposal on how to handle Voice XML issues.
Initial: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00016.html
Latest Update: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00017.html
Waiting for resolution of namespace issue from Representation Guides.
We have to wait until the extension issue is solved. Tony will be working on this together with Mat.

ii. Accepting Suggested Translations In XLIFF
- Mat put his and Magnus's comments together and reposted the proposal:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200412/msg00003.html
Initial: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200407/msg00000.html
Update: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00017.html
Mat will compile suggestions from himself, Magnus and others. He will then forward this as a proposal.

4/ Status Report from Segmentation SC (Magnus)
There is a proposal being put forward that will include the addition of an optional element which will capture the segmented data. Magnus will be forwarding this before the next meeting.

5/ Related work in other standards groups
a. W3C i18n - updates from liaison if required.
Bryan is looking at Tektronix joining this and Andrzej has joined this group.

b. Oscar - updates from liaison if required.
- Action Item: Tony to investigate and report on how XLIFF can consume SRX.
Andrzej reported back that SRX was passed in terms of embedding as was TMX.

c. TransWS use of XLIFF - updates from liaison if required.
This is progressing with completion of the committee specification.

6/ XLIFF Charter Clarification:
Final version -> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200502/msg00000.html
Result of ballot:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/ballot.php?id=685&;
This was passed by 15 votes to 0 and will be forwarded to OASIS administration for distributing to the rest of OASIS.

7/ All other business
Tony mentioned that he wouldnt be working for Oracle from March 11th but will join OASIS as an individual mebership possibly having more time to work with XLIFF.
Reinhard mentioned that Kevin and himself were making a presentation at the Unicode conference and is interested in working on the PO guide. Tony will contact Paul Gampe regarding to this.

Next meeting: 15 March, 2005, 4pm BST/8am PST

This event is one in a list of recurring events.
Other event dates in this series:

Tuesday, 18 January 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 15 March 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 19 April 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 17 May 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 21 June 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 19 July 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 16 August 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 20 September 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 18 October 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT
Tuesday, 15 November 2005, 04:00pm to 05:00pm GMT

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/event.php?event_id=6356

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.