Subject: RE: HTML Repr. Guide: Small ambiguity in regards to whitespace

Asgeir,

You are exactly correct.  I should have caught that. Though some XML
processors are lax in enforcing it, & # 1 2 ; is quite illegal.

I will strike it from the list in section 2.16.  I will make the change and
submit it after the current TC ballot closes (June 20).

Thank you for catching this.

Bryan Schnabel

-----Original Message-----
From: Asgeir Frimannsson xli [mailto:asgeirf@redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:46 PM
To: xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Paul Gampe; Schnabel, Bryan S

Hi,

In section 2.16 White Spaces the guide states that white space characters
must
be preserved for content of <pre> <textarea> and elements with xml:space set

to preserve. The following white space character is also listed:

ASCII Form-feed (U+000C)

This character is not a valid XML character
[http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#charsets], so it can't simply be preserved.
It's not a valid XHTML character either [http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_15].

Maybe this issue should be addressed in the guide?

cheers,
asgeir