Subject: AW: [xliff] Groups - Representation Guide Meeting added

Dear all,

just some quick and dirty notes on escape sequences and how they should be handled:

We have to deal with at least two different types of escape sequences:

1. Compiler/editor related like \n, \t, \0x02 and the like. I would suggest to adopt the propsal for po-files also for WinRes, Resx, Java. For proper handling '\\' should also be mapped to a single '\', because after mark-up we don't need to escape a single '\' any more.

2. Escape Sequences used in formating functions like {0} or %1 and the like. If we agree to adopt the proposal for Java files also for WinRes, Resx, and po-files we also have to describe how handle escaping of special characters like %. Example:
The disk contains %1%% files with more than %d MB.

could be marked up as:

or as (nor double %%):

I think the second optins is perfered.

May be a third type of escaping is involved in hotkeys and shortcuts for winres like:
&File or &Open\tCtrl+O

For better linguistic processing it would also make sense to add some mark-up