Subject: RE: [xliff] RE: How to translate text within G tags?

Title: Message

Hi all,

In the segmentation sub-committee we discussed related issues to quite some extent about a year ago when we were deciding on how to mark up segments if <g> elements span segment boundaries.

The fundamental problem here is that in order to produce a correct translation it is not always possible to achieve a one-to-one mapping between the tagging in the source and the target. Dough has illustrated the issues very nicely in his example below.

XLIFF provides an explicit mechanism for handling many of these cases, and that is to “clone” tags. This obviously is only possible if the filter that converts the content back to its native format can support the “cloned” tags.

<g> elements have a clone attribute that the filter should use to communicate which <g> elements may be cloned during translation.

The default value for the clone attribute is “yes”, so unless it is explicitly set to “no” a normal <g> element may be cloned.

Non-clonable <g> elements must be treated as one unit (in effect they become equivalent to a placeholder with some translatable content), and thus may cause significant problems in localization as is nicely illustrated by Dough’s French example below. This typically reflects a limitation in the underlying file format or a severe limitation of the filter, and as such it is one of those localization issues that must be solved outside of the XLIFF format.

Cheers,

Magnus