Subject: RE: [xliff] More XLIFF schema changes

I’m in process of revising the spec to address the ID uniqueness issue.   In the midst of the edits, I’ve noticed that the <group> id is an optional attribute.  Given that we’re adding a uniqueness constraint for id, shouldn’t it be a required attribute?  Is it even possible (in the normative context) to impose a unique constraint on an optional attribute?  I think shifting group id to a required attribute would represent a pretty big change, no?

I’m going to publish a new revision to the spec momentarily, and in that version I will leave the group id as optional.

Anyone have thoughts on this issue?

Regards,

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Domeny [mailto:ddomeny@ektron.com]
Sent: 02 March 2006 22:21
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xliff] More XLIFF schema changes

All,

I recommend explicitly stating that the id attribute must be unique (as stated above) in the specification.

With this understanding, the constraints for the xid attribute were also possible.

I haven’t added constraints for the id attribute in inline tags (e.g., g, ph).

I’ve added the constraints to the XLIFF 1.1 strict and XLIFF 1.2 core & strict schemas, which are attached.

Attached is a zip with 3 schema files.

xliff-core-1.2-20060302.xsd

The tool-id attribute was missing from the elements that should have it (except the ‘tool’ tag).

Constraints were also added, including group id, trans-unit id, bin-unit id and xid.

xliff-strict-1.1-20060302.xsd

The tool-id attribute was missing from the elements that should have it (except the ‘tool’ tag).

Constraints were also added, including group id, trans-unit id, bin-unit id and xid.

Deprecated elements and attributes are prohibited.

xliff-strict-1.2-20060302.xsd

The tool-id attribute was missing from the elements that should have it (except the ‘tool’ tag).

Constraints were also added, including group id, trans-unit id, bin-unit id and xid.

Deprecated elements and attributes are prohibited.

Regards,

Doug Domeny

Software Analyst

Ektron, Inc.