Subject: Groups - Monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference (Conference Call) modified

Monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference (Conference Call) has been modified by Mr. Tony Jewtushenko*

Date:  Tuesday, 17 October 2006
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Event Description:
Standing monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference.
1. Call one of the MeetingPlace phone numbers:
From the AMER region dial: * 1-888-967-2253 * +1-650-607-2253
From the APAC region dial: * +61 2 8817 6100
From the EMEA region dial: * +44 118 924 9000

2. Enter the Meeting ID (805534) followed by the # key

3. If the organizer has not started the meeting you will be:

a. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key
b. Placed in the waiting room on music hold until the organizer starts the meeting.

If the organizer has started the meeting you will be:

a. Asked to enter the Meeting Password (030543)
b. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key

Agenda:
1/roll call

2/Previous meeting minutes http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200609/msg00010.html Amend, Approve, Reject as official record

3/ Work in Progress:
A. XLIFF 1.2 Specification
Committee Spec Process:

The XLIFF 1.2 spec has been revised (20061016 revision date) to address the issues raised in the public review.

Summary of changes:
# Modified "uniquely identifies ... within file" to "uniquely identifies ... within  element" in ,  and .
# Updated date of [XML Names] reference to latest revision.
# Removed SRX specification version numbers, and edited text in Segmentation section.
# Updated RFC3066 to [RFC4066].
# Edited contents of  to be same as  as per schema.
# Corrected typo "merged-trans element" to "merged-trans attribute".
# A couple of minor typo's reported by Asgeir
# Corrected typos as pointed out by Asgeir in an email to the comments list, including removing from section 2.5.3 the priority attribute erroneously included in the list of extensible attributes

Ballot was openned on 16 Oct and will close on 23 Oct 2006 at 10am.

The PO/POT Representation Guide still requires revision to modify the examples so that they have unique context-group name attribute values.  Rudolfo will provide the updated spec shortly and we will

If the ballot passes we will submit the work for a 14 day public review.  If no further issues arrise during the review we will conduct a ballot on the spec to approve it as a "Committee Specification".

To progress the work towards an OASIS standard, we need affidavits from OASIS corporate members immediately after approval of the spec as "Committee Specification":
The OASIS TC standards process requires that we submit 3 affidavits from Organisational members (ie., not individual or associate members) in order to submit the spec to OASIS standard process. The following is an acceptable template for such affidavits:

"I certify that is successfully using the XLIFF 1.2 specification, as approved for submission to the OASIS membership, consistent with the requirements of the OASIS Technical Committee Process."

Remaining related work for OASIS Standards Submissionk:
-Update whitepaper to summarise 1.2 revisions.
-Update FAQ to summarise 1.2 revisions.

B. Deferred Open issues:
a. Translation of Voice XML Issues
UPDATE (5 Mar 2006) from Mat: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00003.html
Archived Historical detail:
~ Open until resolution of namespace issue.
- Mat confirmed that this issue is currently on hold. He will raise again when it becomes an issue in the future.
Initial: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00016.html
Update: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00017.html

b. Extending XLIFF with separate namespaces.
Some thought has been put into this issue but not yet even in draft form.
ACTION ITEM: Mat & Andzrej were to work offline to advance this work, but Andzrej has at least temporarily taken leave from the TC.  We need to work out who will advance this work.

c. (Closed - placeholder for revision of FAQ/Whitepaper) Best practice: should extraction process create target elements?
Topic proposed by Doug. Discussed in mailing list:
Initial Proposal (Doug): http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00023.html
Comment (Bryan): http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00025.html
Comment (Tony): http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00035.html
Comment (Rodolfo): http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00032.html

The optional meeting took place Thursday 1 June. The meeting notes are detailed here: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200606/msg00006.html
As a very brief summary, it was agreed that any XLIFF compliant tool should be capable of dealing with empty target elements, since it valid XLIFF. We did not feel it necessary to make any changes to the spec, but felt that an entry in the FAQ and/or whitepaper covering the topic would be helpful. We'll keep this item as a working agenda item until it's time to revise the FAQ / Whitepaper with this information.

d. (OPEN) XLIFF - DITA Best Practices:
Purpose of this discussion is to brainstorm what the TC can and should do to provide guidance to those who want to localise / translate DITA content, with potential recommended best practice centered around XLIFF as intermediate container.

Meeting was held on Thursday, 15 June -> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200606/msg00014.html

RECOMMENDATION TO XLIFF TC:

The best practice of interchanging data between DITA and XLIFF is the same issue as how to interchange data XML and XLIFF in general... e.g., how to use XLIFF with ITS, XML:tm, etc. We suggest that the TC author profile documents similar to the other profiles we've developed, ie, HTML profile... in them we recommend which elements to use or avoid, skeleton file approach, transformation approach, other common problems and recommended solutions. Should address XLIFF ITS, XLIFF XML:TM, XLIFF DITA, maybe XLIFF Docbook.

We need to work out what if anything is required to advance this work.

4/XLIFF 1.2 Certification activities:
Feedback and report from Reinhard if he is in attendance.

5/XLIFF Face to Face
As agreed at that last teleconference, the XLIFF TC face to face will be held in conjunction with the Tekom Conference / OASIS Open Standards Day: