Subject: FW: [xliff-comment] Proposal on changes of process managment in XLIFF

-----Original Message-----
From: Asgeir Frimannsson [mailto:asgeirf@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6:46 AM
To: Javier SOLA
Cc: xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [xliff-comment] Proposal on changes of process managment in
XLIFF

Dear Javier and xliff-comment list subscribers,

It's exciting to see the developments going on within the Wordforge
initiative. I'm not part of the XLIFF TC, but since it's the public list
I'll comment anyway :)

Under Section 4 Conclusions, you write:

2. An important one is probably the encoding of which phases a specific
> translation of a string has gone through during its life cycle. The
standard
> only permits marking one phase for each translation (in the phase-name
> attribute), and the story of the translation is lost. This information is
> important for the process. If a string is reviewed by a reviewer, the
> reviewing phase is marked on the string... but the prior translation phase
> is lost, as there is not standard way of encoding it.

You follow up on this one in section 5 Recommendations:

2.- To add a mechanism to keep track of the phases that a translation has
> gone through. Without it, a <trans-unit> can refer (through the phase-name
> attribute) to only the last phase that it has gone through, having no
place
> to store reference to prior phases. Once a unit has been translated,
> reviewed and approved, only the reference to the approving phase remains,
> but all others are lost.

You suggest adding <phase-track> elements to track the phases of the
trans-unit:

<trans-unit>
  <source>Knights of the round table, the wine is poisoned.</source>
  <target>Chevaliers de la table ronde, goutez mois si le vin est
bon.</target>
  <phase-track-group>
    <phase-track phase-name="approve201"></phase-track>
    <phase-track phase-name="review111"></phase-track>
    <phase-track phase-name="translate10"></phase-track>
  </phase-track-group>
</trans-unit>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you are describing above is
available in the existing 1.2 specification, making use of <alt-trans>
elements with the alttranstype attribute set to 'previous-version'. Here is
a snapshot of how the above would look like with this approach:

Initial version:

<trans-unit>
  <source>Knights of the round table, the wine is poisoned.</source>
</trans-unit>

After Translation phase:

<trans-unit>
  <source>Knights of the round table, the wine is poisoned.</source>
  <target phase-name='translate10'>Chevaliers de la table ronde, goutez mois
si le vin est bon.</target>
</trans-unit>

After Review phase:

<trans-unit>
  <source>Knights of the round table, the wine is poisoned.</source>
  <target phase-name='review111'>Chevaliers de la table ronde, goutez mois
si le vin est bon.</target>
  <alt-trans alttranstype='previous-version'>
    <target phase-name='translate10'>Chevaliers de la table ronde, goutez
mois si le vin est bon.</target>
  </alt-trans>
</trans-unit>

After Approval phase:

<trans-unit>
  <source>Knights of the round table, the wine is poisoned.</source>
  <target phase-name='approve201'>Chevaliers de la table ronde, goutez mois
si le vin est bon.</target>
  <alt-trans alttranstype='previous-version'>
    <target phase-name='review111'>Chevaliers de la table ronde, goutez mois
si le vin est bon.</target>
  </alt-trans>
  <alt-trans alttranstype='previous-version'>
    <target phase-name='translate10'>Chevaliers de la table ronde, goutez
mois si le vin est bon.</target>
  </alt-trans>
</trans-unit>

The <target> element is usually the only element that changes from task to
task, and all changes can be tracked with this approach. It is a bit
unfortunate that <seg-source> and <note> elements are excluded from
phase-tracking (no phase-name attribute). It would be useful to be able to
identify which phases notes were added or even edited.

cheers,
asgeir

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=xliff

--
Asgeir Frimannsson
PhD Candidate

Phone: (+61) 7 3138 9332 Mob: (+61) 405 412 696
Email: asgeirf@gmail.com