Subject: Decision to revert to Committee Draft Status for XLIFF 1.2

Title: Message

Hi Mary,

One major issue and several minor issues compelled the XLIFF TC to revert to Committee Draft Status, and to reinstate the Public Review cycle.  Tony suggested that we should run this by you.

The major issue was a bug identified in the XLIFF XML Schema. The use of xsd:key instead of xsd:unique on the name attribute (specifically for the context-group element, but probably for other elements as well) caused contradictory validation direction, and caused the name attribute on context-group to essentially be required, though the spec calls for name to be optional.

Minor issues include:

-         PDF files have dead links and corrupted character entities

-         XHTML files have some corrupted character entities

-         “Latest version” links specify filenames that are too version specific

-         OASIS CSS style for CODE limits the number of characters per line to too few to accurately display the code in the Java Resource Bundles Profile and the Gettext PO Profile

-         XLIFF 1.2 Spec had a minor omission

Though we believe the minor issues could have been fixed and included in the Committee Specification release, and submitted for OASIS Standard balloting, the fact that we had to change the XSDs made us conclude that we needed to start over at the Committee Draft Status, and invoke a new 14 day review.

Our revised goals and timeline are as follows (sorry if this goes a little deep into the details - it helps us to keep focused)

-         Doug fix the schemas (complete)

-         Doug and Bryan test the schemas, and validate all code examples associated with the Spec and Profiles – March 23

-         Rodolfo and Tony fix the XLIFF 1.2 Spec – March 28

[note: all filenames and URLs must revert back to from –cs- to –cd-

o       Fix the XHTML character entities and “version link” URLs (Rodolfo)

o       Fix the minor omission (Tony)

o       Create a “diff” PDF to show the deltas (Tony)

-         Rodolfo fix the XHTML files for the Java and PO Profile – March 28

o       character entities

o       “version link” URLs

o       CODE examples to play nice with the CSS

-         Rodolfo generate Java and PO Profile PDF files with no dead links – March 30

-         Bryan or Doug fix the XHTML files for the HTML Profile – March 28

o       character entities

o       “version link” URLs

o       CODE examples should be fine, but double check them

-         Rodolfo generate HTML Profile PDF files with no dead links – March 30

-         Doug or Rodolfo or Bryan give each XHTML a final XML validation against the W3C Strict XHTML DTD (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd) – March 30

-         XLIFF TC approve XLIFF 1.2 as Committee Draft (Full Majority Vote) - April 3

-         XLIFF TC approve to submit the specification for subsequent 15 day public review (Full Majority Vote) – April 3

-         TC Administrator announce review to the OASIS Membership list – April 4 or so?

-         TC approve the specification as a Committee Specification – May 1

-         TC administrator sets up a TC ballot for TC to approve the specification as a Committee Specification – May 2 or so?

-         Upon approval of Committee Spec, we will be back to where we are now, and take up where that schedule left off