Subject: RE: [xliff] Groups - Standing bi-monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference. added

Bryan:

I'm afraid I can't attend today's meeting due to some unexpected but
critical deliverables.  Sorry for the late notice...

Apologies,
Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: bryan.s.schnabel@exgate.tek.com
[mailto:bryan.s.schnabel@exgate.tek.com]
Sent: 16 April 2007 04:26
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

As agreed upon in the March 20 meeting, we will begin twice per month
meetings until we finish the XLIFF 1.2 Certification activities.  The
meetings will occur on the first and third Tuesday of each month.

Since we failed to achieve quorum at the last meeting, I'm submitting the
same agenda as we had for the April 03 meeting (with a few modifications).
Hopefully we can begin our plan to recast the agenda items, to deal with
the XLIFF 2.0 plan first, for alternate meetings, beginning with our next
meeting, May 01.

 -- Bryan Schnabel*

Standing bi-monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference. has been added by Bryan
Schnabel*

Date:  Tuesday, 17 April 2007
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Event Description:
1. Call one of the MeetingPlace phone numbers:
From the AMER region dial: * 1-888-967-2253 * +1-650-607-2253
From the APAC region dial: * +61 2 8817 6100
From the EMEA region dial: * +44 118 924 9000

2. Enter the Meeting ID (805534) followed by the # key

3. If the organizer has not started the meeting you will be:

A. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key
B. Placed in the waiting room on music hold until the organizer starts the
meeting.

If the organizer has started the meeting you will be:

A. Asked to enter the Meeting Password (030543)
B. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key

Agenda:
1/ roll call

2/ Approve Previous meeting minutes
Accept, reject, or amend.

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200703/msg00013.html

3/ Quick debrief: recent XLIFF activities
  - Christian's work on FAQs
  - XLIFF wiki
  - Beginning this summer, the requirements for documenting certifications
in specifications will change

4/ XLIFF 1.2 Specification status and timeline for approval as a standard

 A. Revert to Committee Draft status - Initiate Public Review

note: as soon as the following sub-steps are complete, Bryan will call a
vote to submit the XLIFF 1.2 specification, along with the profiles, for
public review

  i.     [completed] Doug fix the schemas
  ii.    April 17, Doug and Bryan test the schemas, and validate all code
examples associated with the Spec and Profiles
  iii.   April 17, Rodolfo and Tony fix the XLIFF 1.2 Spec
   - Fix the XHTML character entities and "version link" URLs (Rodolfo)
   - Fix the minor omission (Tony)
   - Create a "diff" PDF to show the deltas (Tony)
  iv.   April 17, Rodolfo fix the XHTML files for the Java and PO Profile
   - character entities
   - "version link" URLs
   - CODE examples to play nice with the CSS
  v.    April 17, Rodolfo generate Java and PO Profile PDF files with no
dead links
  vi.   [completed] Bryan or Doug fix the XHTML files for the HTML Profile
   - character entities
   - "version link" URLs
   - CODE examples should be fine, but double check them
  vii.   April 17, Rodolfo generate HTML Profile PDF files with no dead
links
  viii.  April 17, Doug or Rodolfo or Bryan give each XHTML a final XML
validation against the W3C Strict XHTML DTD
         (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd)
  ix.    April 20, XLIFF TC approve XLIFF 1.2 as Committee Draft (Full
Majority Vote)
  x.     April 20, XLIFF TC approve to submit the specification for
subsequent 15 day public review (Full Majority Vote)
  xi.    April 24, TC Administrator announce review to the OASIS Membership
list
  xii.   May 15, Clear Public Review

note: - each step that follows is copied from our former schedule
      - we will take up right where we left off upon completion of public
review
      - most of these steps probably do not need to be reviewed for today's
meeting
      - I do want to touch on the white paper, FAQ, and Certifications

 B. [Date TBD] Approve Request for initiation of a Committee Spec Ballot
 C. [Date TBD] TC Ballot for approval XLIFF v1.2 as a Committee
Specification
 [next steps before moving to item D.]
  i.     Rename, re-title, repost XLIFF 1.2 Specification and profiles to
reflect the Committee Specification status (Rodolfo)
  ii.    Update whitepaper (Rodolfo will do this; Tony located the latest
version here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/document.php?document_id=
3111)
  iii.   Update FAQ (Tony located latest version here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200309/msg00011.html; last author
is unknown; Doug will help author the FAQ; Christian has been working on new
FAQs)
  iv.   "Certification by at least three OASIS member organizations that
they are successfully using the specification;"
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#3.4)
  The following OASIS members were identified and sent requests:
  - Fredrik Corneliusson, Lionbridge
  - Christian Lieske, SAP AG
  - Matthew Lovatt, Oracle Corporation
  - Magnus Martikainen, SDL International (Magnus confirmed that the
affidavit is on its way in a couple weeks)
  - Peter Reynolds, Idiom Technologies, Inc
  - Reinhard Schaler, Localisation Research Centre
  (thanks to each member for attempting to obtain certification!)
  v.   [Date TBD] A (assuming i thru iv are complete) Bryan (and Tony)
submit a TC (via email) ballot for TC approval to submit the XLIFF 1.2
Committee Specification to the membership of OASIS for consideration as an
OASIS Standard

 D. [Date TBD] A (Assuming TC approves the ballot [7 days]) Bryan (and Tony)
request TC OASIS Administrator to submit the XLIFF 1.2 Committee
Specification to the membership of OASIS for consideration as an OASIS
Standard

 E. [Date TBD] A (assuming all conditions have been met) TC OASIS
Administrator submits the XLIFF 1.2 Committee Specification to the
membership of OASIS for consideration as an OASIS Standard

 F. [Date TBD] A OASIS members have until the middle of the month to vote
(1st 14 days are reserved for OASIS members familiarizing themselves with
the spec)

 G. [Date TBD] A If at least 15% of OASIS voting membership has voted to
approve, and no negative votes, XLIFF 1.2 becomes an OASIS Standard. What if
it fails?

5/ XLIFF 2.0 - Life after approval of XLIFF 1.2
 - Below we have three lists: A. things we want to do, B. things we haven't
decided upon yet, and C. things we rule out for 2.0.

note: - this method is a bit confusing. We should move the tracking of these
items to our new wiki

 - Let's look at each item in B. to see if we can move it into A. or C. (or
if we're not sure, leave it in B.)
 - Assign a TC member to each approved 2.0 item
 A. Items the TC has identified as likely next pursuits for XLIFF 2.0
  i Reference implementations or toolkit(s) similar to DITA
  (Rodolfo)
  ii XLIFF validator tool to be included in a toolkit
  (Rodolfo)
  v XLIFF Round Trip tool could be modified to support:
  (DITA/ITS -> XLIFF -> Translated DITA model)
  (Bryan - it looks like I can change the xliffRoundTrip Tool license from
GPL to
  Apache {according to an inquiry I made to licensing@fsf.org, the GPL
license expert debunked our misconception that "Once something has a GPL
license it is impossible to get out of it"})
 B. Items the TC has not yet ruled out
  iii Submitting to ISO once XLIFF becomes an OASIS standard
  iv Additional Representation Guides (DITA,.NET / Win32, Docbook)
  vi Subsetting / restricting XSD as proposed by Christian
  vii Version control Metadata - need to track revision information
  viii Ability to store Multilingual Content.
  ix Create a bare-bones XLIFF core, then provide extension modules that
support additional features.
  x "Simplify, Extend and Clarify"
  (Core XLIFF functionality would be in primary XLIFF namespace; would be
very simple to implement.)
  (Extensions would provide support for more complicated features like,
Segmentation, Pre-Translation, Generic Inline Markup, etc.)
  xi Schema Catalogues; host a namespace Catalogues
  for XLIFF 3rd party custom / extension namespaces.
  xii More work on inline-elements:
  (Separate inline elements from other elements? Maybe as an extension?
Stronger rules for when to use each inline tag?)
  xiii Define a multi-lingual "Localisation Kit" format, which may include:
  (XLIFF content + original source material+ all target language files+
skeleton files + reference files + some sort of manifest document
describing/defining the payload.
  xiv Using XLIFF as a primary content authoring container.
  (Author stores contend directly to XLIFF instead of another proprietary
format.)
  xv Terminology Markup
  (Has been suggested by Kara Warburton of IBM some time ago to support
terminology markup such as translate (yes/no), subject-categorization, type,
etc.)
  xvi [added April 15] Propose we create a requirements document for XLIFF
2.0 along the lines of the requirements  document the W3C's XSLT committee
drafted for their XSLT 2.0 requirements:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20req

 C. Items the TC has ruled out as likely features for XLIFF 2.0

6/ Reports from liaisons involved with other standards groups:
 A. W3C i18n
 B. Oscar
 C. Trans-WS
 D. LRC
 E: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee

7/ Any Other Business

Minutes:

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/event.php?event_id=14945

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.