Subject: Groups - Standing bi-monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference modified

Standing bi-monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference has been modified by Bryan Schnabel*

Date:  Tuesday, 01 May 2007
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Event Description:
1. Call one of the MeetingPlace phone numbers:
From the AMER region dial: * 1-888-967-2253 * +1-650-607-2253
From the APAC region dial: * +61 2 8817 6100
From the EMEA region dial: * +44 118 924 9000

2. Enter the Meeting ID (805534) followed by the # key

3. If the organizer has not started the meeting you will be:

A. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key
B. Placed in the waiting room on music hold until the organizer starts the meeting.

If the organizer has started the meeting you will be:

A. Asked to enter the Meeting Password (805534) - Note: this is a new password
B. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key

Agenda:
1/ roll call

2/ Approve Previous meeting minutes
Accept, reject, or amend.

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200704/msg00017.html

3/ Two ballots passed:
  - Approve XLIFF 1.2 as Committee Draft
  - Approve initiation of XLIFF 1.2 Public Review
  i.     Rodolfo will edit the titles and URLs from cd to pr
  ii.    Bryan will request Mary McRae to inspect the documents and announce the public review
  iii.   If Mary initiates PR by Monday, May 7, the review would conclude May 25
  iv.    If the PR concludes favorably, Bryan will ask Rodolfo to update the titles and URLs, and hold a roll call vote during our May 29 meeting to approve XLIFF 1.2 as Committee Specification

4/ Quick debrief: recent XLIFF activities
  - Beginning this summer, the requirements for documenting certifications in specifications will change.  If we want to avoid changing our spec, we should try to approve XLIFF 1.2 as a Committee Specification by June.
  - Doug and Christian's work on XLIFF 1.2 FAQs
  - Bryan's work on XLIFF 1.2 White Paper
  - Rodolfo's work on XLIFF wiki (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff)
  - Rodolfo provided URLs to the newest OSCAR standards and asked for our feedback
  - - TMX: http://www.lisa.org/standards/tmx/
  - - SRX: http://www.lisa.org/standards/srx/
  - Tony said that LISA is also a qualified organization and that we could ask Michael or Arle. Rodolfo said he would get a certification form Arle or Michael (Rodolfo is a member of the OSCAR Steering Committee)
  - Request from Piyush Patel (http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200704/msg00020.html)
  > Hello there
  >
  > I want solution that will read the data from XML file and
  > make a skeleton  file and XLIFF file after that the text from
  > the XLIFF file will be store in  to the database and also
  > XLIFF file retrieve translated text from the  database and
  > merge with the skeleton file and generate new XML file. I
  > want  this solution in C# .NET can you help out for the same ??
  >
  > kindly waiting for your reply.

5/ XLIFF 2.0 - Life after approval of XLIFF 1.2
 - Below we have three lists: A. things we want to do, B. things we haven't decided upon yet, and C. things we rule out for 2.0.
 - Let's look at each item in B. to see if we can move it into A. or C. (or if we're not sure, leave it in B.)
 - Assign a TC member to each approved 2.0 item

 A. Items the TC has identified as likely next pursuits for XLIFF 2.0
  i Reference implementations or toolkit(s) similar to DITA
  (Rodolfo)
  ii XLIFF validator tool to be included in a toolkit
  (Rodolfo)
  v XLIFF Round Trip tool could be modified to support:
  (DITA/ITS -> XLIFF -> Translated DITA model)
  (Bryan - it looks like I can change the xliffRoundTrip Tool license from GPL to
  Apache {according to an inquiry I made to licensing@fsf.org, the GPL license expert debunked our misconception that "Once something has a GPL license it is impossible to get out of it"})
   - Feature updates:
   - - Update to XLIFF 1.2
   - - Add option to produce minimalist or maximalist XLIFF round trip
 B. Items the TC has not yet ruled out
  iii Submitting to ISO once XLIFF becomes an OASIS standard
  iv Additional Representation Guides (DITA,.NET / Win32, Docbook)
  vi Subsetting / restricting XSD as proposed by Christian
  vii Version control Metadata - need to track revision information
  viii Ability to store Multilingual Content.
  ix Create a bare-bones XLIFF core, then provide extension modules that support additional features.
  x "Simplify, Extend and Clarify"
  (Core XLIFF functionality would be in primary XLIFF namespace; would be very simple to implement.)
  (Extensions would provide support for more complicated features like, Segmentation, Pre-Translation, Generic Inline Markup, etc.)
  xi Schema Catalogues; host a namespace Catalogues
  for XLIFF 3rd party custom / extension namespaces.
  xii More work on inline-elements:
  (Separate inline elements from other elements? Maybe as an extension? Stronger rules for when to use each inline tag?)
  xiii Define a multi-lingual "Localisation Kit" format, which may include:
  (XLIFF content + original source material+ all target language files+ skeleton files + reference files + some sort of manifest document

describing/defining the payload.
  xiv Using XLIFF as a primary content authoring container.
  (Author stores contend directly to XLIFF instead of another proprietary format.)
  xv Terminology Markup
  (Has been suggested by Kara Warburton of IBM some time ago to support terminology markup such as translate (yes/no), subject-categorization, type,

etc.)
  xvi [added April 15] Propose we create a requirements document for XLIFF 2.0 along the lines of the requirements  document the W3C's XSLT committee

drafted for their XSLT 2.0 requirements: http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20req

 C. Items the TC has ruled out as likely features for XLIFF 2.0

6/ XLIFF 1.2 Specification status and timeline for approval as a standard

 A. Revert to Committee Draft status - Initiate Public Review

note: as soon as the following sub-steps are complete, Bryan will call a vote to submit the XLIFF 1.2
specification, along with the profiles, for public review

  i.     [completed] Doug fix the schemas
  ii.    [completed], Doug and Bryan test the schemas, and validate all code examples associated with the Spec and Profiles
  iii.   [completed] Rodolfo and Tony fix the XLIFF 1.2 Spec
   - Fix the XHTML character entities and "version link" URLs (Rodolfo)
   - Fix the minor omission (Tony)
   - Create a "diff" PDF to show the deltas (Tony)
  iv.   [completed] Rodolfo fix the XHTML files for the Java and PO Profile
   - character entities
   - "version link" URLs
   - CODE examples to play nice with the CSS
  v.    [completed] Rodolfo generate Java and PO Profile PDF files with no dead links
  vi.   [completed] Bryan or Doug fix the XHTML files for the HTML Profile
   - character entities
   - "version link" URLs
   - CODE examples should be fine, but double check them
  vii.   [completed] Rodolfo generate HTML Profile PDF files with no dead links
  viii.  [completed] Doug or Rodolfo or Bryan give each XHTML a final XML validation against the W3C Strict XHTML DTD
         (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd)
  ix.    [completed/passed], XLIFF TC approve XLIFF 1.2 as Committee Draft (Full Majority Vote)
  x.     [completed/passed] XLIFF TC approve to submit the specification for subsequent 15 day public review (Full Majority Vote)
  xi.    Maya 7, TC Administrator announce review to the OASIS Membership list
  xii.   May 25, Clear Public Review

note: - each step that follows is copied from our former schedule
      - we will take up right where we left off upon completion of public review

 B. May 29, Roll Call Vote: Approve Request for initiation of a Committee Spec Ballot
 C. May 29, Roll Call Vote: Approval XLIFF v1.2 as a Committee Specification
 [next steps before moving to item D.]
  i.     Rename, re-title, repost XLIFF 1.2 Specification and profiles to reflect the Committee Specification status (Rodolfo)
  ii.    Update whitepaper (Bryan will begin this; Rodolfo and Tony will contribute - Tony located the latest version here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/document.php?document_id=3111)
  iii.   Update FAQ (Tony located latest version here: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200309/msg00011.html; last author is unknown; Doug will

help author the FAQ; Christian has been working on new FAQs)
  iv.   "Certification by at least three OASIS member organizations that they are successfully using the specification;"

(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#3.4)
  The following OASIS members were identified and sent requests:
  - Fredrik Corneliusson, Lionbridge
  - Christian Lieske, SAP AG
  - Matthew Lovatt, Oracle Corporation
  - Magnus Martikainen, SDL International (Magnus confirmed that the affidavit is available as soon as we need it)
  - Peter Reynolds, Idiom Technologies, Inc
  - Reinhard Schaler, Localisation Research Centre
  (thanks to each member for attempting to obtain certification!)
 ## Tony said that LISA is also a qualified organization and that we could ask Michael or Arle
 ## Rodolfo said he would get a certification form Arle or Michael (Rodolfo is a member of the OSCAR Steering Committee)

  v.   [Date TBD] A (assuming i thru iv are complete) Bryan (and Tony) submit a TC (via email) ballot for TC approval to submit the XLIFF 1.2 Committee

Specification to the membership of OASIS for consideration as an OASIS Standard

 D. [Date TBD] A (Assuming TC approves the ballot [7 days]) Bryan (and Tony) request TC OASIS Administrator to submit the XLIFF 1.2 Committee

Specification to the membership of OASIS for consideration as an OASIS Standard

 E. [Date TBD] A (assuming all conditions have been met) TC OASIS Administrator submits the XLIFF 1.2 Committee Specification to the membership of OASIS

for consideration as an OASIS Standard

 F. [Date TBD] A OASIS members have until the middle of the month to vote (1st 14 days are reserved for OASIS members familiarizing themselves with the

spec)

 G. [Date TBD] A If at least 15% of OASIS voting membership has voted to approve, and no negative votes, XLIFF 1.2 becomes an OASIS Standard. What if it

fails?

7/ Reports from liaisons involved with other standards groups:
 A. W3C i18n
 B. Oscar
 C. Trans-WS
 D. LRC
 E: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee

8/ Any Other Business

Minutes:
1/ roll call
## 6 of 11 members attended, quorum achieved

2/ Approve Previous meeting minutes
Accept, reject, or amend.
## Rodolfo move to approve, Doug seconds, no objections.
## Meeting minutes, as recorded in the URL below, are the official record to the April 17, 2007 meeting

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200704/msg00017.html

## Andrzej questioned one of the segmentation examples in XLIFF 1.2 Specification.
## Tony examined the example, and verified with Magnus that it was okay.  The conclusion is that it would be better if the CSS were more friendly to code samples, and if we could indent better.  It would be nice also of the CSS made a nicer, more reader-friendly background

3/ Two ballots passed:
  - Approve XLIFF 1.2 as Committee Draft
  - Approve initiation of XLIFF 1.2 Public Review
  i.     Rodolfo will edit the titles and URLs from cd to pr
## Rodolfo pointed out that the titles are correct.  He will create the files and Request Mary McRae to post them to the proper PR folder
  ii.    Bryan will request Mary McRae to inspect the documents and announce the public review
## Bryan will request Mary to do this
  iii.   If Mary initiates PR by Monday, May 7, the review would conclude May 25
## Bryan had calculated working days.  Tony pointed out that the actual method should be calendar days.  The review should conclude around the 19th.
  iv.    If the PR concludes favorably, Bryan will ask Rodolfo to update the titles and URLs, and hold a roll call vote during our May 29 meeting to approve XLIFF 1.2 as Committee Specification
## The TC is hopeful that the ballot to approve XLIFF 1.2 as Committee Specification can pass before June 1, when rule changes would require us to add a conformance clause to our spec, then re-approve for Committee Draft, then re-initiate a 15 day public review.  Bryan will send Mary a note to confirm the feasibility of our plan.
## Tony pointed out that it cannot be a roll call vote.  Mary must initiate a TC ballot, and we must pass it in time to beat the deadline.

4/ Quick debrief: recent XLIFF activities
  - Beginning this summer, the requirements for documenting certifications in specifications will change.  If we want to avoid changing our spec, we should try to approve XLIFF 1.2 as a Committee Specification by June.
  - Doug and Christian's work on XLIFF 1.2 FAQs
## Doug has not finished the FAQ.  Rodolfo has added Christian's entries to the wiki, and mentioned that Doug could log in, and maintain his FAQ there
  - Bryan's work on XLIFF 1.2 White Paper
## Bryan has not worked on the white paper yet.  He will create a first draft in the next week or two
  - Rodolfo's work on XLIFF wiki (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff)
## Rodolfo has done very nice work.  The TC chairs thank him for his good work.
  - Rodolfo provided URLs to the newest OSCAR standards and asked for our feedback
  - - TMX: http://www.lisa.org/standards/tmx/
  - - SRX: http://www.lisa.org/standards/srx/
## Tony reviewed the SRX standard and said it is good
## Andrzej thanked Rodolfo for being very responsive to requests and for his good work on the OSCAR standards.  He pointed out that the new versions work even better now, with XLIFF
  - Tony said that LISA is also a qualified organization and that we could ask Michael or Arle. Rodolfo said he would get a certification form Arle or Michael (Rodolfo is a member of the OSCAR Steering Committee)
## Rodolfo said he has gotten confirmation from Arle that a certification will come from LISA
## Tony mentioned that he is confident that he can get a similar confirmation from LRC - he will verify this with Reinhard

  - Request from Piyush Patel (http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200704/msg00020.html)
  > Hello there
  >
  > I want solution that will read the data from XML file and
  > make a skeleton  file and XLIFF file after that the text from
  > the XLIFF file will be store in  to the database and also
  > XLIFF file retrieve translated text from the  database and
  > merge with the skeleton file and generate new XML file. I
  > want  this solution in C# .NET can you help out for the same ??
  >
  > kindly waiting for your reply.
## The TC examined this request.  The conclusion is that there are commercial tools that might fit the requirements.  There are also a couple Open Source tools that could be starting points, like Okapi and xliffRoundTrip Tool (each on sourceforge).
## Bryan will convey the thoughts of the TC to the requester

5/ XLIFF 2.0 - Life after approval of XLIFF 1.2
## Bryan asked if it seemed impractical to begin XLIFF 2.0 requirements gathering with the approval of XLIFF 1.2 still taking much of our focus and energy.
## Andrzej said he thought it's too ambitious to try to do both 2.0 and 1.2 at the same time.  He said he thought we should complete the approval process of XLIFF 1.2 before taking on XLIFF 2.0
## Tony mentioned that the wiki might be a good place to gather XLIFF 2.0 requirements.  He pointed out that the XLIFF 1.2 approvals required the TC members to attend meetings and vote when necessary, but that most of the remaining work is pain-staking-administrative tasks.

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/event.php?event_id=15032

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20070501T000000Z
DTSTART:20070501T150000Z
DTEND:20070501T160000Z
SEQUENCE:2
SUMMARY:Standing bi-monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference
  dial: * 1-888-967-2253 * +1-650-607-2253 \nFrom the APAC region dial:
  * +61 2 8817 6100 \nFrom the EMEA region dial: * +44 118 924 9000
  \n\n2. Enter the Meeting ID (805534) followed by the # key \n\n3. If
  the organizer has not started the meeting you will be: \n\nA. Asked to
  speak your name followed by the # key \nB. Placed in the waiting room
  on music hold until the organizer starts the meeting. \n\nIf the
  organizer has started the meeting you will be: \n\nA. Asked to enter
  the Meeting Password (805534) - Note: this is a new password\nB. Asked
  to speak your name followed by the # key\n\nGroup: OASIS XML
  Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC\nCreator: Bryan
  Schnabel*
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/event.php?event_id=15032
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/event.php?event_id=15032
END:VEVENT