Subject: RE: [xliff] [Fwd: [xliff-comment] RelaxNG as an alternative/additional schemaformat for XLIFF]

Hi Raymond:

In the very early days of XLIFF 1.1 (Q1 2002), the TC initiated a “Schema Subcommittee” to investigate XML schema and validation requirements.  Relax NG was discussed as an option, as was Schematron.  The Schema subcommittee proposal at that time was to initially limit XML schema support to XSD and consider supporting others as determined by subsequent enhancement requests (btw, for a short while we also supported DTD, but ultimately dropped it).

To the best that my faulty memory serves, the key reason for choosing W3C XSD over other schema choices was the ubiquitous support for it by Win32, Java, XML and WS specs, libraries, and development frameworks.  We reckoned that when the XSD alternatives adoption reached critical mass we would be requested to provide Relax NG & Schematron schemas.  So far you’re the first to request a non-XSD schema for XLIFF.

Doug mentioned we can deliver non-normative Relax NG schemas sometime in the near future.  We will add Relax NG schema support to our list of post-1.2 deliverables.  We’ll probably await input from the public before implementing Schematron support.

Thanks for your input and I hope we can count on your guidance when we develop the Relax NG schema.

Regards,

Tony