Subject: [Fwd: [xliff-comment] Re: [xliff] [Fwd: [xliff-comment] RelaxNG asan alternative/additional schemaformat for XLIFF]]

Hi,

This message just arrived to the xliff-comment list.

Best regards,
Rodolfo M. Raya
Heartsome

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Raymond Martin <laseray@gmail.com>
To: xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:58:28 -0400

This is a repost from yesterday, sorry had the wrong reply address since I can only post as comments.

-----
Hi Tony,

> Doug mentioned we can deliver non-normative Relax NG schemas sometime in the
> near future.  We will add Relax NG schema support to our list of post-1.2
> deliverables.  We'll probably await input from the public before
> implementing Schematron support.

Sounds good, RelaxNG will definitely be a plus for XLIFF.

> Thanks for your input and I hope we can count on your guidance when we
> develop the Relax NG schema.

Sure, I would be glad to be of assistance in this regard. Presently, I am a member
of the Localization Industry Standards Association and their Open Standards for
Container/Content Allowing Re-use standards body. I have just started to try to
make the case for adoption/inclusion of RelaxNG schemas for all of the localization
standards they develop. As such, I will be preparing some information for the other
members so that they can have a good overview of the pros and cons for decision
making purposes with regard to RelaxNG, I can provide a section specifically on
XLIFF also.

When I have that prepared, perhaps it would also be of interest to the XLIFF TC. If so,
I can send copies or a link to its location.

As one quick point, RelaxNG can actually function as a sort of one-stop schema format
that can easily be converted into DTD and, yes, W3C XML schema for those that need it.
It is quite easy to do and I have managed to roundtrip a number of formats with the
results remaining vaild, thus it shows itself as a lower maintenance and more flexible
option. Conversion tools under liberal licences are freely available for this.

If there is an interest I can start some experiments to produce a preliminary XLIFF
RelaxNG schema.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Raymond

-----

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: xliff-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org