Subject: RE: [xliff-comment] XLIFF 1.2 Errata: Schema glitch in <xliff> element definition

* sending to the xliff member mailing list as well

-----Original Message-----
From: Asgeir Frimannsson [mailto:asgeirf@Gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 4:26 AM
To: xliff-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xliff-comment] XLIFF 1.2 Errata: Schema glitch in <xliff>
element definition

Hi all,

First of all: Doug, Bryan, thank you for your comments. I will be
joining to TC soon, I'm simply waiting for some practical/"political"
issues relating to the Oasis membership to be resolved. Until then
there might be some further comments on this list...

Now on to an inconsistency between the schema and the specification:

The <xliff> element contents description is defined as:
     One or more <file>  elements, followed by
     Zero, one or more non-XLIFF elements.

This is represented in the schema as:

<xsd:element name="xliff">
  <xsd:complexType>
    <xsd:sequence maxOccurs="unbounded">
      <xsd:any maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" namespace="##other"
processContents="skip"/>
      <xsd:element ref="xlf:file"/>
    </xsd:sequence>
    ... attributes ...
  </xsd:complexType>
</xsd:element>

Notice two things:
1) The sequence is switched around, so you have to end with a <file>
element, hence invalidating the 'followed by zero, one or more
non-XLIFF elements" statement.
2) This definition allows for mixing any number of <file> and other-ns
elements, as long as you end with a <file> element... This
representation allows much more than the specification, for example
the following instance:

<xliff>
  <my:bogus ... />
  <file ...> ... </file>
  <my:bogus ... />
  <my:bogus ... />
  <my:bogus ... />
  <my:bogus ... />
  <file ...> ... </file>
  <my:bogus ... />
  <my:bogus ... />
  <file ...> ... </file>
  <!--- a file element must be the last element -->
</xliff>

To represent the intent of the specification, the <xliff> element
definition can be rewritten as:

<xsd:element name="xliff">
  <xsd:complexType>
    <xsd:sequence>
      <xsd:element ref="xlf:file" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="1" />
      <xsd:any maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" namespace="##other"
processContents="skip"/>
    </xsd:sequence>
    ... attributes ...
  </xsd:complexType>
</xsd:element>

cheers,
asgeir

--
Asgeir Frimannsson
PhD Candidate

Phone: (+61) 7 3138 9332 Mob: (+61) 405 412 696
Email: asgeirf@gmail.com

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: xliff-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org