Subject: RE: XLIFF 2.0 proposal: Allow <note> to reference <mrk>

Title: Message
Hi Magnus,

Very nice. I like this architecture.

One small matter though; I wonder if we might need a new attribute to use instead of mid.  The way you're using the mid attribute in <mrk> in conjunction with the id attribute in <note> is more of an id/idref pair.  In order to support your vision that a single note can reference multiple markers (taking into account your comment at the meeting that this could include markers from other trans-units, which appeals to me) we'd need to modify mid's keyref on target/mrk elements.  In its current state, a target/mrk/@mid must have a corresponding seg-source/mrk/@mid (unique key).

If I wanted to refer to the same note to indicate another contextually inappropriate translation, in another trans-unit, by referring to note's id in a separate <mrk> mid, like this

<!-- another trans-unit elsewhere in the same XLIFF file as your example -->
<trans-unit>
  <source>. . . Super interesting sentence. . . </source>
  <seg-source>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="1">. . .</mrk>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="2">Super interesting sentence.</mrk>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="3">. . . </mrk>
  </seg-source>
  <target>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="1">. . . </mrk>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="3">. . . </mrk>
  </target>
</trans-unit>

. . . the parser would not find the "note1" key.

Doug might be able to adapt target/mrk/@mid to work in either case.  But perhaps rather than changing mid to accommodate the new purpose, I wonder if it would be better to add a new idref attribute, like midref.  Just my first impression. Otherwise I really like this approach.