Subject: RE: [xliff] RE: "none of the market leader TenT companies has signed on to the XLIFF standard "

I think Rodolfo's suggestion is a very good one - it will mean that whenever
there is a need to for governments to interchange localization related data,
the ISO standard must be used first, before any other standard (e.g.,
proprietary).

Peter - there should be no problem with getting XLIFF approved by ISO even
though it is an OASIS standard already.  At the Language Standards
conference in Berlin a few years ago, we were invited to submit to ISO.
Also, there are a number of UNICODE related standards adopted as ISO
standards as well - suggesting that there is no standards body redundancy
limitation for ISO approval.  I'm not sure ISO 37 is the right place to
bring XLIFF though,  but it is worth a shot.

I'll look up the contact's name (although it will take a bit of effort to
find it).

Cheers,
Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Reynolds [mailto:p.reynolds@maart.pl]
Sent: 28 July 2008 22:02
To: Rodolfo M. Raya; xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [xliff] RE: "none of the market leader TenT companies has
signed on to the XLIFF standard "

Hi Rodolfo,

I have just been nominated as an Irish expert to ISO TC 37 which is the main
committee looking at translation issues. I will be going to the ISO meeting
in Moscow in a few weeks time. I think there may be an understanding between
ISO, OASIS and other standards body where they cooperate rather than
compete. I don't know whether ISO will work on a standard that is already
being developed at OASIS. I am away this week but I suggest that you and I
have a phone call next week and have a short discussion on this and come up
with a proposal for how the TC could approach ISO.

Thanks,

Peter.