OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xliff message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - XLIFF TC Meeting (XLIFF 2.0 focus) modified

Added meeting minutes.


 -- Rodolfo Raya

XLIFF TC Meeting (XLIFF 2.0 focus) has been modified by Rodolfo Raya

Date:  Tuesday, 06 January 2009
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Event Description:
1/ Call one of the FreeConferenceCall phone numbers:
US: (712) 432-1600
US: (605) 772-3100
Austria: 0820 4000 1552
Belgium: 070 35 9974
France: 0826 100 256
Germany: 01805 00 76 09 
Ireland: 0818 270 021
Italy: 848 390 156
Netherlands: 0870 001 920
Spain: 902 886025
Switzerland: 0848 560 179
UK: 0870 35 204 74
2/ Enter the Participant Access Code: 737043#

** Category 1 Issues: General, not tied to 1.2.1 or 2.0 **

1/ Roll call
2/ Approve previous meeting minutes:
Accept, reject, or amend. (http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/email/archives/200811/msg00005.html)

3/ Start of the year alignment notes for XLIFF
 A. Bryan proposes taking XLIFF 1.2.1 only as far as Public Review, then turn 100% to XLIFF 2.0
 B. Yves, Rodolfo, Arle began a dialog about TMX  element for all inline elements, suggest 
      XLIFF should be able to share a single mechanism
 C. Many thanks to Jean-Jacques Solari for translating XLIFF 1.2 to French

4/ TC charter update
 A. Mary outlined the criteria for updating the charter: 
 B. Tony to draft charter update for first December meeting.

5/ Promoting XLIFF (Peter, David F.)
 A. Peter to write up proposal on how to promote XLIFF among content handlers to export/import XLIFF.
 B. Rodolfo to invite Translations.com to join the XLIFF TC. He will contact Mary McRae and ask her to invite the company
 C. Bryan making inroads with XML Editor Tool companies (recommending that
      their product include a function called *export to XLIFF/import XLIFF* as an
      out-of-the-box feature for all of their out-of-the-box DTDs and schemas
      (like Docbook, XHTML, DITA, etc.))  This will be a huge competitive
      advantage to the first company to do this.

6/ Preparing for a vote on Eric's representation guide (ICU Resource Bundle)
 A. Rodolfo to test XLIFF code samples
 B. Rodolfo and Eric to adapt the guide to the current templates

(For XLIFF 2.0 themed meetings, jump to Category 3)

** Category 2 Issues: XLIFF 1.2.1 (quick Turn) **

Note - All issues should be identified, and ready to be put into the 1.2.1
             Spec and Schema. It would be useful now to verify or identify action items to make it so.
            (report from Rodolfo and Doug), Doug has given Rodolfo the updated schema for XLIFF 1.2.1

7/ XLIFF 1.2.1 Issues are tracked on the WIKI
   (Errata page begun by Asgeir)
 A. Link updated XLIFF 1.2.1 schemas to this page, and perhaps TC page
    i The items to be changed in the new specifications will be discussed in the wiki first.       
      All changes to the wiki should indicate the name of the comment author.
 B. Start an XLIFF 1.2.1 Committee Specification and link it to this page
    i   Start a draft specification document for 1.2.1 and the corresponding schemas. 
    ii  Rodolfo will create the initial draft, based in current XLIFF 1.2 specification, and 
    iii Doug will edit and update the schemas to reflect the new changes
    iv  Doug and Rodolfo will be listed as editors in the new specification document.
 C. Proposal to add scope (criteria and due dates) to this page
    i   1st CS of 1.2.1;  
    ii  Public review during December, 
    iii Ready to go standard vote by March.

8/ Semantics on Attributes on Structural Elements (Christian)

9/ Doug proposed discussing the issues raised by Stefan Uhrig
  Note: Resolved, Stefan's comments are essentially addressed by 1.2.1.
  (just want to get formal agreement that it can be taken off the agenda)
 A. Section 2.5.2
 B. Section 2.5.1
 C. Section 3.2.1
 D. Section 3.2.2
 E. schema is too lax in Stefan's opinion

** Category 3 issues: XLIFF 2.0 **

10/ Make XLIFF 2.0 modular. That way tools could certify to support XLIFF modules (like Full XLIFF Trans-unit support) 
  A. Christian and Magnus to create proposal on modular subsets and report back on progress by end-of-year.
11/ Asgeirs tracking details page
(http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/Ideas) will serve as 
documentation for each of the items being tracked on the goals page
 Note: Asgeir's ideas for 2.0. Ideas and suggested recommendations are still open. We need to categorize the new ideas.

12/ Topics for XLIFF 2.0 (Rodolfo)

13/ XLIFF 2.0 proposal: Allow [note] to reference [mrk] (Magnus, Bryan, Doug)
  Note: Magnus stated this item has been moved to the wiki. [ Magnus, I could not find it in the wiki -Doug ]
14/ XLIFF 2.0 Goals (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0Goals)
 A. Reports from Requirements owners on status of requirement
 B. Continue to classify remaining Potential Goals (Must Have, Should Have, Nice to Have)
 C. XLIFF 2.0 Requirements Document draft
 D. Begin to write the actual "XLIFF Version 2.0 Working Draft" (covered under item 13/ )
** Non categorized **
15/ Reports from liaisons involved with other standards groups:
 A. W3C i18n
 B. Oscar
 D. OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
16/ New Business

Present: Johann, Asgeir, Magnus, Bryan, Doug, Eric and Rodolfo

Rodolfo moved to approve previous meeting menus, Bryan seconded and none opposed. 

Bryan explained his vision for future work and proposed to only address the mistakes in XLIFF 1.2 and publish updated specification and schemas. This will allow as to focus mainly on XLIFF 2.0, preserving energy.

Bryan proposed to vote to only update the existing specification and schemas and make them available as documents for public review.  A roll call ballot was conducted and the motion was approved unanimously.

Magnus and Christian started work on the core set of features for XLIFF 2.0. They already have initial outlines and currently filling the details.

Bryan and Rodolfo commented that as TMX 2.0 will drop most inline elements, replacing them with with just one inline tag, there may be value in adopting a similar approach in the future. All present members agreed on the idea, which would make implementation easier.

XLIFF 1.2 was translated to French by Jean-Jacques Solari. Bryan will send a note saying thanks.

Bryan will work with Tony on the changes to the charter, which should reflect the changes voted during the meeting.

Regarding XLIFF promotion, Rodolfo confirmed that Translations.com was invited to join OASIS and participate in the XLIFF TC, proposal that got a favorable response. Bryan talked with Arbortext and Xmetal staff  and invited them to integrate XLIFF support in their XML toolsets. 

If the opportunity arises, it would be a good idea to present the material of the DITA-XLIFF webinar again at different conferences. Bryan will check if it would be possible to present it in Localization World conference in Berlin.

Eric and Rodolfo will work on the conversion of the ICU representation guide to the official OASIS format.

Next meeting will be on Tuesday 20, 2009.

Meeting adjourned.

View event details:

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
copy and paste the entire link address into the address field of your web

PRODID:-//Kavi Corporation//NONSGML Kavi Groups//EN
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
SUMMARY:XLIFF TC Meeting (XLIFF 2.0 focus)
DESCRIPTION:1/ Call one of the FreeConferenceCall phone numbers:\nUS: (712)
  432-1600\nUS: (605) 772-3100\nAustria: 0820 4000 1552\nBelgium: 070 35
  9974\nFrance: 0826 100 256\nGermany: 01805 00 76 09 \nIreland: 0818
  270 021\nItaly: 848 390 156\nNetherlands: 0870 001 920\nSpain: 902
  886025\nSwitzerland: 0848 560 179\nUK: 0870 35 204 74\n \n2/ Enter the
  Participant Access Code: 737043#\n\nGroup: OASIS XML Localisation
  Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC\nCreator: Bryan Schnabel*

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]