[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: RE: [xliff] Welcome back Yves! A summary of where we are (RE: XLIFF TC teleconfs)
That’s excellent news - great to have you back on the committee!
This is great news. I will cc the list on my reply because I am going to update you on our current status - and the members might want to correct, or add to my summary.
We meet on the first and third Tuesday each month at 11am US Eastern time (9am your time - in the Rockies - I think).
You rejoin the TC at an opportune and exciting time. We are in some churn about finishing our bug fixes to XLIFF 1.2.1 and taking it as far as Public Review, then switching to focus fully on XLIFF 2.0.
To give you a quick primer on where we stand, here are the *hot* issues, as I see them (in no particular order).
- XLIFF 1.2.1 Schemas are done; XLIFF 1.2.1 Spec is done (I think Rodolfo uploaded a spec today hooray!); XLIFF representation guides need to be put into the latest templates. All of this will be completed shortly, in proper OASIS templates and URLs. Then we will pass (or not pass) XLIFF 1.2.1 as a Committee Draft, and get it moving toward public review. Rodolfo is hard at work on this
- XLIFF 2.0 has a really nice set of goals and requirements. Asgeir is in the process of unifying the Goals page (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0Goals - our earlier tracking page) to the Ideas page (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/Ideas - our new tracking page), where we will track the progress. I'm also going to ask him to add a status field to his ideas template.
- We are at a pretty important decision point where we will define an important point "XLIFF 2.0 will be complete when _______"
There are two camps for filling in the blank
1. Set a calendar goal. All items that are complete and approved by the
TC make it into XLIFF 2.0 - All others need to wait for the "next train," i.e., XLIFF 2.X or XLIFF 3.
Special care needs to be taken to define doneness and ensure no dependency
issues between items. And "XLIFF 2.0 is complete on set date of *Month/Day/Year*"
- or -
2. Define a finite set of XLIFF 2.0 items. Set a cutoff date for adding items.
The list of accepted items becomes our requirements document.
And "XLIFF 2.0 is complete when items 1 through X are finished"
(some in this camp see our current set of goals, as is, as that finite list)
- We have an important discussion around unifying our XLIFF inline element(s) with TMX's new proposed method (you are familiar with these details)
- We are updating the charter
- We have an initiative to promote XLIFF
Having your familiar voice back on our call will be immensely beneficial for XLIFF and the localization community.
SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved. If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us. SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 02675207. Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.