Subject: FW: Generic Inline Markup - Was: RE: Latest draft of TMX 2.0

This is a partial (very abbreviated) summary of the conversation between members of the XLIFF TC and the TMX TC regarding the possibility of simplifying the inline element(s) such that it serves all markup requirements, and is then suitable to be shared between XLIFF and TMX.

- TMX has proposed "<itag>, the new generic inline
tag intended to simplify the markup salad." (Rodolfo's words)
- Many of us expressed opinions on this (i.e., a markup pair is not a node)

Christian defined an approach for collaborating on a solution (below). Support for this approach is on record from the TMX and XLIFF camps (Arle and Bryan).

Hopefully this summary will be sufficient for us to use as a reference on our meeting agenda.

From: Lieske, Christian [mailto:christian.lieske@sap.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:35 AM
To: Schnabel, Bryan S; arle@lisa.org; yves@opentag.com; rmraya@maxprograms.com; ddomeny@ektron.com; MMartikainen@sdl.com; tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.com; asgeirf@redhat.com; azydron@xml-intl.com

Dear all,

2 positive voices are encouraging but presumably not sufficient. Let's see what the others think.

Here is some more input from my side:

i. Addition to "1. General Scope"
        - enabling for the W3C Internationalization Tag Set (I guess allowing local ITS markup would be sufficient)
ii. Addition to "4. Abstract Markup Proposal"
        - values of individual attributes; semantics of element, attributes and values
        - default values and inheritance rules

Cheers,
Christian