Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF Reference Implementation

Hi Yves/all,

From my point-of-view, answers amongst others depend on the definition
we choose for "Reference Implementation".
As sample definition is the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_implementation_(computing)

A key phrase here is "A reference implementation ... is a software
example of a specification". If I remember
the discussion we had during the TC call last week, we may have two
distinct dimensions in the XLIFF 2.0
specification:

1. a format description
2. a set of processing expectations related to the format

Tools for checking adherence to/compliance with a format description
from my understanding are somewhat related
to the format description and the formalism used to codify that
description. Example: If you codify with RelaxNG
you may be able to do other types of compliance checking than with XSD.

I am unsure whether the set of processing expectations should work along
the lines you sketch. From my understanding,
this would mean working towards an XLIFF-specific DOM/XLIFF processing
API specification.

One level down, you could say that not only an API specification will
be targeted but actually an implementation of that API/specification.
Next level of detail would answer questions such as: which development
model/source code repository, which programming language, which license

Christian