Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 and multiple <file> elements

Hi Asgeir,

I agree with Rodolfo that multiple <file> elements are important (or to put it more strongly, "critical"). Rodolfo's 1) thru 4) use cases list looks bullet-proof to me.

Of your two proposals, the first, for me, weakens XLIFF's utility. But the second one seems like it could add value:

> <xliff>
>   <header>
>      // workflow data
>      // tool information
>      // other meta-data relating to the whole container
>   </header>
>   <files>
>     <file original='myfile.txt'>..</file>
>   </files>
> </xliff>

And the <files> wrapper element might be redundant if its utility could be covered in the proposed <header> element.

Also, to answer your question:

> Do any of you know of tools making use of multiple
> files at all within a single XLIFF container?

My open source XLIFF/DITA Roundtrip tool uses multiple <file> elements within a single XLIFF file to encapsulate all the topics referenced by a DITA map (i.e., Rodolfo's 2) item), FWIW.