Subject: RE: [xliff] Simplified XLIFF element tree

The Ektron CMS currently does not support XLIFF 1.2's seg-source. It extracts and merged and does not perform linguistic segmentation (leaving that for the translation tools). However, if the XLIFF file comes back segmented, it may not be able to perform the merge.

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Asgeir Frimannsson [mailto:asgeirf@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 7:21 AM
To: xliff

Hi all,

My initial thoughts on the subject of segmentation:

1) There are going to be times when the "extraction unit" (e.g. a docbook <para> or a html <p>) is not always at the segment level.
2) The segmentation process should typically belong to the 'translation domain', not the 'extraction domain', although implementors may choose to add segmentation in the extraction process. This is particularly important where there is a n-to-m relationship between segments in source and translation.
3) <seg-source> is not an ideal solution. Annotating segments using <mrk> in <source>, or introducing some other span-annotation mechanism is my preferred solution.

Perhaps what is lacking in the standard is a clear way to maintain "extraction units" vs "translation units". In pre 2.0, the <trans-unit> is typically referred to as the unit of extraction, but perhaps there is a case for a finer-grained trans-unit that is a sub-set of an extraction unit, which can maintain it's own state, annotations, TM/MT suggestions, etc?

cheers,
asgeir